How did you intoroduce cereal to your baby?And how old?

Is it best to do right before a bottle and how many times a day?Do you still feed them the same amount in a bottle?

Derekt1

Asked by Derekt1 at 8:29 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think she was talking about putting cereal in a bottle, ladies. She wanted to know if you still give the same amount of formula or breast milk in a bottle. My daughter was 5 1/2 months when I started giving her cereal. I mixed a teaspoon of cereal in about 4 teaspoons of milk in a bowl the first couple times I gave it to her. I gave it to her about an hour and a half after her first bottle of the day. I still gave her the same amount of bottles just food in between them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I mixed it with breastmilk at 6mos. I'm not sure how it is with formula but with breast milk your supposed to BF the baby first and solids are only a supplement. My DD's first solid was mashed up sweet potato. My DD still BF just as much, she's kinda like a goldfish, she will just keep eating.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Hello Mom.... You can introduce cereal by giving it to the baby at 3 months the doc. is going to tell you to wait 5 months. So make sure it is very soupy and as the weeks go alng you make it more thick
    ZiemMya2

Answer by ZiemMya2 at 8:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• IVE HEARD THAT FEEDING A BABY CEREAL THROUGH A BOTTLE INCREASES THEIR CHANCES MORE OF HAVING EAR INFECTIONS. OF COURSE THEIR REFLEXES IN THEIR MOUTH IS GOING TO PUSH THE FOOD BACK OUT BECAUSE OF THE SUCKING REFLEX. GIVING THEM SOLIDS THROUGH THE BOTTLE ISNT GOING TO HELP THEM TAKE THE FOOD ANY FASTER. JUST GET A LITTLE SPOON AND GO TO WORK. JUST TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:51 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• We started at 4 months. Just at night to start with. Make up a normal sized bottle and feed your lo a little over half of it, then offer the cereal, then the rest of the bottle. Solid feedings should correspond with liquid feedings.

After she gets the hang of it you can offer solids in the morning as well, and then a little later at lunch time too making 3 solid feedings a day. The main goal is to get those feedings close to the normal family meals.

I find this site helpful: http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm
    This site also talks about how most babies are ready for solids at 4-6 months.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• No cereal in bottles. If they can't take it on a spoon then they're not ready.

We didn't do cereal, though. Mashed banana at six months, given immediately after nursing.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• With my oldest he got it in a bottle at first and it was once a day during the middle of the day to help with his reflux. We started at 2 months. My youngest has yet to start solid food.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• well I would imagine just mixing the cereal with formula or breastmilk and introducing the spoon to them at around 4 months. My kids had it in their bottles as new borns.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2009