Dialating?

I am 37weeks as of last Friday, only 3 more of the longest weeks of my life to go! My last OB visit was last Thursday and the doctor said I was already 2cm dialated, but he didn't say how effaced I was, so I am wondering about that...I do believe I am in the pre-labor stage. I have all or most of the signs, I'm so anxious! I do have a few questions if anyone could answer them that would be awesome!!!

1. Do you have to be 100% effaced before dialating?
2. If I was dialated 2cm at 37wks, does that mean my baby most likely won't be late? (Because the doctor said I won't need to be induced)
3. Is prelabor and early labor the same thing?
4. I am having contractions that are between 5 and 10 min. apart some consecutive and other's not for the past two hours, but I know I'm not in labor yet, so what does this mean?
5. What is predromal labor? I've looked it up and it seems I have the signs...is it bad if I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Dilation and effacement really means nothing as some women can walk around for WEEKS at 3-4cm and 70% effaced and some women are nothing and nothing until labor starts. Neither is bad - just the way an individual body works...the only bad thing is that we can be set up either for a very long last few weeks of pregnancy *waiting* for what someone has told us will happen anyday - or a very stressful last few days of pregnancy if a doctor hints at the *need* (FALSE!!!) to perhaps induce.

From what I understand - prelabor, early labor, prodromal labor is all the same....just your body's way of getting ready for the big event! Again, not a bad thing...though, it can get tiresome and frustrating if it goes on for a couple of weeks as can happen. Be sure to rest and stay hydrated.

As labor gets close, ctx get closer together, for longer, and become more intense.

Good luck....and CONGRATULATIONS!!
    Kid_Coach

Answer by Kid_Coach at 10:29 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I was 4CM and I was %70 effaced when I went into my doc appt. I was also in labor for a week and didnt really know it though. If your doctor thought that there was a chance of you delivering then he/she would have kept you in labor and delivery. These are questions thats best for you to ask your doctor, just to make sure you get the correct answers.
    Good luck and as she said CONGRATS MOMMY!!
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2009