FIL had a heartattack when I told him I made DH vaccum

Lol ok the basement is DH "man cave" plays poker, pool, darts you know guy stuff. Well I told him before he had the guys over he needed to vaccum. Fil was over and looked at me and said "You need to clean his room" "It's your job" "You got that title when you married him" I wanted to say GTF out of my house you Ahole. Any ways would you make your DH or SO vaccum his "man cave"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• hell yeah its his place not yours
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 9:27 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• He messes it up and he cleans it up. Tell your FIL things have changed. When my FIL said to me, "A wife has no business knowing what is in her husbands wallet." I responded by saying, to my husband, who was in the car with us....honey, remember, don't take marital advice from single men. (Dear FIL who I do love very much was left by dear MIL for being an ahole.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• HELL YEAH.... if you get your very own room in the house.... then you get your very own room to clean.... FIL could kiss my ass. I wouldn't care if he power-washed the damn room... but it would be HIS to clean.... not mine.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Your FIL sounds like a real peach.
    Yes, I'd ask him to vaccuum, too. My husband has a home office, and he knows I don't clean that room. If he wants to work in a clean room, he can clean up after himself.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• FIL is an a hole. He has the room he cleans the room. No where in the wedding vows does it say you have to clean at all much less his mess.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Nope, I'd take over the man cave because I enjoy poker pool and darts more than DH (well, we both do but I'm the one who had a pool table in my house)! And I could move my beer-brewing stuff in there and make beer to go with the poker, pool and darts.

That's silly. And my DH is always happy to help vacuum and do other things. His parents also had more traditional gender roles (not unusual for people in their 70s), but he just likes to help. I think we'd BOTH play in "man cave" and BOTH make a mess and then BOTH clean up.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My DH does not "help" around the house.

He does chores, I do chores - we are a team.

If my FIL said something like that, he'd just get a big smile - no need to disrespect my elders but if he persisted, he'd get a polite "Well, that's the way it is in our house" comment or something like that.

I am happy that my children think that Daddy's grilled cheese is the best in the world. I was lucky enough to marry a grown-up who doesn't care about "traditional gender roles" (WTF?) but just about getting each job done right.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:19 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I don't "make" my husband do anything. We both do whatever needs to be done. He often vacuums, since my daughter is afraid of the vacuum and I hide in her room with her while he do it. I've never understood relationships where one spouse makes another spouse do something. Makes no sense. Marriage is a partnership. I agree with EVERYTHING Wimsey said. My husband could care less about what society thinks a man or woman should do.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 10:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My husband vacuums alot. So yes I would.
    LND

Answer by LND at 10:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2009