I weigh 300 lbs

I need to lose weight badly. I don't even know how I let it get to this point. The problem is that now I have absolutely no energy, I get winded just walking through my house. I also am hungry 24/7, and I even find myself eating sometimes without even thinking about it.
I know I have a problem, but I want to take care of it. I'm finally ready, I just don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Id go see a dr and make sure you dont have any underlining medical problems. You can talk to them about what a good diet and what activities are right for you. Once you try to lose weight and if you cant you might be a prime candidate for lap band or gastric bypass.

Answer by gemgem at 9:28 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Sounds to me like you need to break your "sugar addiction"-not that that is what you eat. Its a fact that carbs-like white breads, cereals, pastas, etc. are full of useless sugars. These sugars make you FEEL hungry very quick-even if you have just ate.

I have also been struggling with my weight-I have sugar problems-so dieting and keeping my sugar stable has been a challenge. What I did (and am doing) is limiting my carbs-not "the low carb diet"-but simple things like instead of a bowl of cereal (full of sugar) I have eggs or oatmeal.

I am trying different foods to keep me satisfied-from snacking or feeling starved! Its working. I have lost 7 lbs since feb. 22.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I would start by seeing a doc, getting your blood pressure and finding out what a safe target heart rate is for you. I know you might be self conscious about your weight but water classes ( group exercise in a pool ) will burn calories with no impact. Drink lots of water for more energy. If you have no will power for diets you might want to consider weight watchers. It will give you a goal. You need to give yourself realistic goals like I will lose a pound a week. You know manifest destiny.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:31 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Write down when you eat, what you eat, and when you feel hungry. You will start to see a pattern to when you get hungry and what you eat.

It is hard at first, but there is a ton of information online for healthy recipes-snacks and stuff that is helpful.

And it will take time to come off-don't be hard on yourself.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Just want to add Jenn is definently on to something with the sugar addiction. Simple sugars bring your blood sugar up and then you crash making you hungry. You want to mix whole grains with lean protein for stable blood sugar and energy.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Start by seeing a doctor. Then start by changing your routine. Shower every day. Go out of the house every day. Clean every day. Do things in a different way then you used to. Set the timer. Try to move for the length of the timer. Then continuously set it a minute longer. You didn't get this way overnight. (Flylady) So you are not going to loose all your weight in one night. Babysteps.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• um ya you need to loose alot of weight, go see a dr, you are not at a healthy weight now, you should cut your calories, and cut out the sugar and MOVE, you need to move, work out, do some exercising, you have no energy b/c you need to move more
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Weight watchers does wonders. I was 202 lbs last February and now I am down to 142lbs. They teach you how to eat right and it's not a diet. They'll also motivate you and give you ideas to get active. I highly recommend it.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• The first step you can do is to stop buying junk foods and instead buy an abundance of fruits and greens.

Before every meal eat as much fruit as you desire and then some more.

Incorporate a large green salad or green smoothie (fruits mixed with greens) into your daily eating. This might be a good way to start your day - having a green smoothie. Fruits and greens contain all the nutrients the body needs so will help you overcome cravings.

If you crave something sweet reach for the fruit. Fruit is so so very good for you and is easily digested. Fruits and greens will help with your energy.

Try to cut your meat intake down to a couple of times a week or less and try to keep your fat intake down to 10% of total calories. Recipe websites like www.fatfree.com and www.fatfreevegan.com can help with this.

This might all seem very overwhelming so start with one thing and then incorporate more.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I would start by working out the calories you NEED - Here is a link to an article that shows you how to work it out:

http://www.eating-naturally.com/home/2009/2/20/calorie-counting-determining-how-many-calories-you-need.html

Then use something lime nutridiary.com to track your calorie intake over a 3 day period and see where you are going wrong, where you can improve.

Don't get hung up too much on calories. Use it to give you a good indication of what your diet is at the moment.

As for exercise - try to exercise everyday..long brisk walks or slow runs. Start off walking as far as you feel comfortable. Do a little each day.

Plenty of sunlight and fresh air is helpful too.

I would also recommend writing up an ideal vision to help you stay focused. If you would like any more advice or help on this concept you can contact me at kelly@Eating-naturally.com.

I hope this helps and hasnt ovewhelmed yo
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2009