how do you teach your toddlers to help clean up?

my2girls7707

Asked by my2girls7707 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I never taught mine I found they like to mimic what I do so when they tried to help I let them with some guidance.

Answer by gemgem at 9:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• We put toys in separate bins so there's something specific we can ask him to do. Like put all the cars in the car box
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 9:37 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• TODDLES LOVE TO PLAY...MAKE IT FUN. MAKE UP YOUR OWN LITTLE CLEAN UP SONG. MY 8 YEAR OLD AND I MADE UP A LITTLE CLEAN UP SONG FOR MY 2 YEAR OLD. SHES A NEAT FREAK SO THANK GOD FOR HER.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:38 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I MEANT TODDLERS
    diamondmamma

• By asking them to help you and by showing them step by step what you want done. Too many times, parents give an order to pick up and the child has no clue what to do nor how to do it. Assume nothing, and teach, teach, teach.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• We sing the clean up song from Barney as we are picking up. My 2 year old loves that.
    michelle1219

Answer by michelle1219 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I don't know....as soon as they were able, we started having them clear their dishes from the table.

They've had to help clean up their toys since they were able to move...not that they've always done it without a fight! lol

When they could walk we started having them take their dirty clothes to the laundry basket.

Just work with them, help them along to their abilities and show them what you want them to do. It will take more than once, but keep at it and they'll get it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:03 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• make it a game. sing the clean up song and how them what to do. At just a year old, don't expect much. Ask them to move one item at a time. Put this block in that basket. over time, it'll gett better and faster.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I started " lets put it away" at 7 months and he's a total clean freak at 16 months and now he knows what it means when I ask him to put that away. consitancy is key I guess
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2009