Has anyone had to deal with their preteen child being diagnosed with hypothyroidism?

My daughter is 12 and was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism. She has extreme fatigue and we had her thyroid checked. Her TSH levels are below 0, it is .7. We haven't seen the endocrinologist yet but have one scheduled. What would trigger this to occur out of the blue. She seems to be on time for development. She is 5

travel2island

Asked by travel2island at 9:29 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Kids' Health

• UPDATE:  We saw the doctor at Children's Hospital and she is actually hyper not hypo.  They did additional blood work and then she will contact me.  Most likely we will have her rechecked in a couple of months and see if there is a change.  She told us about Graves disease and another condition it could be .  She spent a lot of time with us and answered all of our questions.  She put a lot of fears to rest but did give us an explanation of some worst case scenarios.  At least we know we don't need to rush to find an answer at this point.  It is something we will now know to keep a close eye on and the symptoms can come and go and not necessarily be the same from month to month.  At this point we know she isn't a severe case-thank goodness.   

travel2island

Answer by travel2island at 8:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• http://thyroid.about.com/od/gettestedanddiagnosed/a/normaltshlevel.htm

It is a good thing you caught this. I am severely hypothyroid. I think I was even back then. Your daughter is MILDLY hypothyroid. Her TSH is barely above the normal. Mine is 29, unless I am on medication. She may need to take medication. What you need to know is that you never, ever stop taking that med. Even when you feel better. Unless the doctor says so. Untreated hypothyroidism can lead to heart problems later on. Good luck. Oh and look for the book, by Mary Shoman about Thyroid problems. (I think it is called, "What your doctor did not tell you about hypothyroidism" or something similar)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 17. By the time I was diagnosed I was incredibly fatigued, losing large amounts of hair, had trouble sleeping and extremely dry skin among other things. It can sometimes run in families (my Mom has it too) but I don't know if any one thing can set it off. I'm not sure what affect if any it could have on a child's development. WebMD has alot of good info on it.

One tip, make sure she always takes her meds on an empty stomach (like when she first wakes up). Food really hinders the absorption of it. I found that out the hard way. Having your thyroid out of whack can cause problems when you get older too and want to have children. Just gotta keep it in check and take that little pill everyday. Hope this helps. =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would like for you to look at  www.sharethecause.com/hastily.  I am an independent distributor for this company and think This product might be helpful.  Email me for further info jmcansler@gmail.com

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 5:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• As an update, we are scheduled to go to a Children's Hospital next week. The more I study about this issue, the more I think the pediatrician might have confused hypo with hyper but either way I think she will need medication. I definitely want more tests run, bloodwork and scans.
    travel2island

Answer by travel2island at 11:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• That's good. Especially since she's so young. Yeah hyper- has similar symptoms sometime I think as hypo- but I think with hyper- it can cause alot of weight loss, can cause you eyes to have problems too I believe. An endocrinologist will be able to answer any and every question you can think of about it. =) Best wishes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• My daughter was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when she was 10. It's controlled by meds and she has to have her levels checked every 6 months. My advice is to have her take the meds at the same time every day. It is very important that she takes it every day, so set an alarm if you need to. PM me if you need any more info.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2009