• In the Spotlight:

Help my husband's and my debate about forgery?

So here is the deal. I have to get my husband insurance forms in by tomorrow. I wanted to do it today just so I could be sure they got done. I asked him to please please please sign the forms yesterday so I knew it was done. This morning as he is walking out the door he says he never signed them, just for me to sign them for him. I say it is forgery, he says it is not considered forgery if the party you are signing for gives consent. I am not going to do it regardless, however, I was wondering what you thought or if anyone actually knew the law on this.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't do it on a legal document where they could deny you $$ if they found out, because it wasn't signed by the right person. But when I was in high school, my mother taught me to forge her signature. Something like that where you can't get into real trouble, the "well, I had her consent" might fly.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I Know there is no bail for this charge in my state and yes it is forgery even with his consent.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 9:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• u can go to jail for MANY MANY years. DONT do it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My mil is a paralegal and a stickler about us signing because its against the law otherwise. I do it though for dh all the time since hes always forgetting and busy. We have never had an issue with it since he gives me his consent and if anyone has a question about the signature they call and ask if he signed and he says yes. But legally it is usually against the law to sign someone elses name, but if you have his consent then its a matter of howyou interpret the law.

Answer by gemgem at 9:42 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• he is your husband if he gives you permission it is not forgery. i sign my husbands stuff all the time. if you have concerns im sure you can look it up or call an attorney and ask them but where i am if you have your spouses consent you can sign for them
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• No, it isn't. You have power of attorney because he told you to. Just as you would have power of attorney over his medical needs if he so consents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I agree with Jodi. i would just sign them. You have his consent. It's fine. I'm pretty sure our bank has never even seen my husband's actual signature. Lol...
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My husband worked out of town all the time and was only home on the weekends if I was lucky. Sometimes I had to sign the back of his checks while he was gone because the money HAD to be in the bank so I could pay the bills. We have a joint account though, so no biggie really. As far as insurance though, I wouldnt do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It' not forgery. I've signed my hubbys name to checks before- My mom signs my dads name too. It's really not that big of a deal.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I had an issue that wound up in court and got me a forgery charge and it was on a joint bank account. It is not legal no matter what. It is excepted as long as the other party does not sue but it is not legal...period.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Mar. 9, 2009