Why embryonic stem-cells?

I just don't understand. Adult stem cells can be used right? I understand that one excuse is they would be thrown out anyway, but that's not right either. So are we going with the 2 wrongs CAN make a right theory here? Why not regulate how many extra embyos can be made in the first place (1st prob solved) then use adult stem cells?

I am not trying to get into a pro choice pro lofe thing here but MANY MANY people belive life begins AT fertilization....and I think I might. I mean at what point do you belive you get a soul. Only AFTER you have ears and eyes...or is passing through the moms bady the criteria?

Do you like Obama reversing this decision? Is this a right along party lines issue?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am not opposed to stem cell research. I am opposed to using cells from embryos. If we are willing to sacrifice the unborn for research how long until we begin sacrifing the disabled or mentally ill for their good organs?

I am especially opposed when another MUCH BETTER source is available. Cord blood should be harvested from EVERY birth. It isn't. It goes out with the trash. Info about this is readily available from many different and reliables sources. The info isn't new. Why aren't they requiring the blood be harvested? Harvesting doesn't hurt anyone.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Sorry...where this came from
    Obama to reverse Bush-era stem cell policy

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29586269/
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I think if it helps why not?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• This may help: http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/monday/health/ny-usqa096063154mar09,0,6093543.story

I have NO problem with embryonic stem cell research. To me it's no different than organ donation.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:01 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I am for Obama reversing this decision. What I like about this research is that the cells can potentially made into mosty any organ, etc. For people like me and so many others who have neurological disorders and my parent who died from Alzheimers, I am excited at the notion that healthy cells could be grown and maybe someday replace the diseased ones. Im not a scientist, but the prospect is enough for me to fully support Obama with this.
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I am all for stem cell research. I was disappointed when I had my youngest and wasn't able to donate his. If it could help save a life and is going into waste anyway, why not use it?
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 10:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I guess the argument comes in that they aren't your organs to donate gd. So I guess in the end it does come to down to a pro life pro choice stand. Are any of you who are ok with this pro lifers? AND can't you use ADULT stem cells to the same end?
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I have no problem with the research, if some choose to do so. I just have my qualms about using government funding.

http://cei.org/node/21096

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Embryonic stem cells are much easier to manipulate than adult stem cells. They have the potential to do much more. I see no problem with using the stem cells of aborted fetus' because it will allow their lives to mean something, even though their mother has chosen for it to end. How is that a bad thing? The cells that are going into the trash could save lives. I believe that if you had a family member struggling with Parkinson's or Alzheimers, whether you were pro-life or not, you would want them to have cells to work with!!
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 10:14 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I am for it. I have done a lot of research and while I do not think Abortion of any kind is right. The embryos that they are going to use are going to be thrown away anyway. Why should we not use them for good? There are a lot of people out there suffering from neurological disorders and this research could help them greatly. My great grandmother passed away after suffering from alzheimers for many many years. She was to the point to where she could not function anymore. She had no clue who people were or where she was. If there is research that could be done to help others like her and those less severe I think it should be done. As long as they do not start making embryos for the sake of doing research I am ok with it.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 10:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2009