My five year old daughter is in preschool and has been disrespectful to her teacher. How do I stop this behavior.

Melissa9382

Asked by Melissa9382 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Not sure here - that's fairly normal?

Obviously, hopefully, she knows it was wrong but unless the teacher is kicking up a big fuss then guess what - you've got a normal five year old!

They don't start off respectufl and polite - they are molded and turned that way gradually. Keep your expectations realistic!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:10 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Thank You Wimsey,

She is my first school aged child. I guess everyone thinks their child will be well behaved all the time. That is just not the case and I sometimes feel as though I am the only parent being talked to and I'm sure that's not the case either. thanks for you help.
    Melissa9382

Answer by Melissa9382 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• OH baby - that's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not the case.

Our DD is so sweet and so adorable and so cute - you'd just die. But - talkative, talkative, talkative. A social butterfly as one of her strengths AND one of her weaknesses. In pre-school and kindergarten she could charm her way out of trouble but in first grade she has met her match. And it has been hard. VERY hard. My stomach clenches up because it's like WHAT NOW? I never thought I'd be one of the ego-moms living through my kids but I don't think any of us can help it.

If you're worrying about this, you're doing good.

If you let it take over, that's too much.

Your daughter should know she is loved, should know what the rules are, and should know you lvoe her despite it all. Or because of it all. Or whatever.

It's like my heart breaks when she gets in trouble but I know she knows the rules. We love them so much!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Although its within the realm of normal/typical behavior you DO need to nip it in the bud. Have a very stern talking to with your daughter and let her know it is ABSOLUTELY NOT okay for her to speak disrespectfully to an adult. And if necessary have a follow thru consequence at home.
    (I mean if its continuous).
    Thinking about it I'd also want details from the teacher, like what exactly happened b/c her def. of disrespectful and yours may not be the same so your daughter may not even be totally aware of what she is doing wrong.
    but mommy.... yeah all our kids act up, and the funny thing is that they are often totally diff. at school than at home. My sweet boy drives the teachers crazy and my fiery girl is an angel at school. Go figure.....
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2009