when a bf baby should be sleeping through the night?

my son is 4 1/2mos. old....he usually breastfeeds about every 5 hours... he will wake up about once a night to feed..should he still be waking up?if not how do i get him to sleep through the night with out feeding...i am still working on him going to sleep w/o feeding.. he did it last night @11pm.but woke up at around 2:30am!!

naymack

Asked by naymack at 10:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Depends on the baby. My BF baby didn't sleep for that length of time until 21 months. I'd consider myself lucky, he's doing well for a baby his age.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• some babies just need to feed at night. My friend has a 14 month old and she has a bottle at 12am. My son got up at 3am every morning till he was about 3 months old to feed. But he just broke him self out of it. I think it just depends on the baby. Also remember, not all babies are the same. So you shouldnt just go on what us moms say. Maybe consult your babies doctor and see what their opinion is. And remember its an opinion, its not set in stone as to what every baby should do. Cause not everyone is the same.
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I guess it depends on the baby. My daughter started sleeping 11 hrs. straight through the night when she was 2 1/2 months old. She was breastfed. My son is 4 months and he sleeps usually 12 hrs. straight every night and he's breastfed. But I know a lot of people w/ babies who are breastfed that don't sleep longer than 3 or 4 hrs. straight. So I think it's the baby's personality.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 10:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• my niece slept through the night at around 7-8 weeks. She would sleep about 7 hours at night
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:31 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Only one wakeup? You're doing great!

There's no date as to when they "should" be sleeping through the night (which means just five hours). They do it when they're ready to do it.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:50 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• 5 hours is considered a night's worth of sleep for a baby that age.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• my oldest didnt sleep through the night until SHE WAS 18 MONTHS OLD. My youngest however was 3.5 to 4 months old so i think it depends on the child
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2009