How can I tell if my baby has reflux or gas? What can I do to help relieve his pain

My son is one month old, We put Mylicon in each bottle, he is breastfeeding (I am pumping) and using formula. He spits up after he eats, and lots of times screams and cries during and after feedings. We started to slow him down when eating and we also keep him upright for at least 30 minutes after he eats, however he is still having difficulty.

jennykid11

Asked by jennykid11 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try them gas drops and make sure you burp him everytime he eats or drinks. And when you burp him via patting his back, make sure he burps everytime, even if you sit there for 10 minuts. Seems how he's spitting up all the time i'd take him to the doctor to make sure its not refulx. If it is, then they can fix it. But they say that moste babies have reflux cause that lil flap that keeps the reflux down isnt developed all the way till about 6 months at the latest. Good luck mom.
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My great neice has reflux,she is on baby zantac,sounds like that is whay your baby has.Her Peditrician sent her to the hospital,she had to drink this stuff,and they done xrays,to find that out.They also suggessted for her to use Dr Browns bottles.Good luck,I know this is very frustrating.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Check with her pediatrician. It's common for babies to spit up however throwing up is different. Throwing up is forceful and upsetting to baby while spitting up is not. If it is in fact reflux or even if it's just gas then the formula could be aggrivating the situation.
    If you're able to, you might want to cut out the formula. Breastmilk is digested much easier thus making it easier for a baby's tummy to handle. If the problem persists even after cutting out formula then you might need to evaluate your diet in order to pinpoint exactly what is causing her discomfort.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• With a mix of breast and formula it's a little hard to tell where the problem is. Is it worse after nursing or after getting a bottle? Aftr breastmilk or formula?

I'd start by getting him on a breast only baseline. No pumping (if you change six dipes a day he's getting enough) and no formula. This is an elimination method. If he's still having trouble, then look up "overactive letdown" on kellymom.com. That site also has a great article on causes of gassiness in baby. Could be something in your diet, dairy being most likely and then formula would make it worse because it's dairy based.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2009