What Industry in your communityhas been most impacted by the weakening economy?

Automotive? Home Building? Technology? Which area was most impacted and has your city announced if they plan to stimlate that job sector with any long term plans?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• For my community, it has been the automotive. My town and the neighboring cities have shut down 7 GM/Delphi plants since 2004. 4 were in the last 18 months. The largest of our town closed Christmas Eve 2007.
    It is hard not to criticize the union leaders and execs for GM's Demise, because if you do 60 miles north east of here the Honda plant cut to a 4 day production week and were able to keep 85% of their jobs from being laid off and they were named one of the most energy efficient plants in Ohio.
    Makes one really think about busines practices, ethics, and standards.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Also, you can name another other than automotive, tech, or homebuilding. Those were simply examples. :o) I am trying to get a feel for how other commuities are being impacted. thx
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Retail and Real Estate have been hardest hit here, from what I can tell
    The mall I used to work at (I was laid off too) is at 60% capacity and have added a charter school in the mall so they can fill up space
    Circuit City just closed
    and alot of homes are being foreclosed on in my area
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Construction for us. My hubby is a construction worker and we know a lot of others (mainly home builders) who are out of work. My hubby has been laid off since 1/17 and it's a huge struggle especially with one child and one on the way AND trying to sell our old home at the time of having 2 mortgage payments. This shit just all piled on at once for us.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 10:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• p.s. There is just NOTHING out there... I mean N-O-T-H-I-N-G! You can't even go get a minimum wage at McDonalds!
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 10:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Oil companies moving out from Alaska.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Ive seen a lot of the 'mom and pop' type businesses close in my area since the fall, some of which had been here for years and years.
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Well, I know people that have been laid off in construction, packaging, and automotive. My husband's job in the cell phone market seems to be solid. . . they are still hiring! The restaurant I work at is up in sales over last year, but they are sending out crazy amounts of coupons. Every month another BOGO goes out. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:07 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• The two big ones here are County and State positions as well as construction.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Restaurants, Retail, Real Estate, Automotive, Construction, Landscaping...pretty much EVERYTHING! Our help wanted ads are down to a column. The only classifieds left are for people trying to sell their items or rent out their homes.

My husbands job is pretty secure. He's the assistant manager to our apartment complex. He is working on apartments left and right because so many people are moving in. However, he also teaches Martial Arts and his client list has dropped drastically. No one wants to pay for these things anymore.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 11:39 AM on Mar. 9, 2009