can anyone else not stand their in-laws??

My MIL is driving me crazy!! we are first time parents and i know people are going to give unsolicited advice but i cant take her anymore!!! she constantly tells me what i am and am not going to do! i cant bottle feed, i cant use a paci, on and on. Shes allergic to a lot of fabrics(so she says) so im not allowed to dress my baby in anything but 100% cotton or use anyblankets that aren't 100% cotton and she "prefers" i buy organic cotton! then my husband has an ex-stepmom who wont leave me alone. ive only meet this women a couple of times and im so uncomfortable around her. did i mention that these people are at my house almost everyday! Im losing my mind!!!

Ebony83

Asked by Ebony83 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• Thats why I am thankful my in-laws are in another state.....seriously I know what you mean my MIL and my husbands grandmother believe I should do this and this. I can simply just hang up when they do it....cause who wants hear it over and over again.
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I know it's hard but next time your mother in law tells you what type of clothing to buy, tell her to go buy it and then you will dress your baby in it. I would cut my toe off because I said anything nice about my mother in law. I had a c-section and my husband was scared of our baby (he thought he was going to hurt him). My mother in law never even called to check on us. Oh, but she's the perfect grandmother - HA! My mother was here for over a month helping us because she knew how hard it was to have a c-section and a husband who didn't know how to help. My son is HIGHLY allergic to perfume but when my mother in law did come over, she was wearing a whole bottle of it! If they drive you crazy trying to help, let them. Send them on crazy errands to get you stuff. It makes them feel like they are helping but it gets them out of your hair! At least their heart is in the right place.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• i feel you i just posted one kinda like this one but my mother-in-law stayed in my house when i didnt want her there and my hermones went crazy cause i cant stand her. but for me if it was my mother-in-law id put everything but cotton on my baby everytime shed come over mean i know but like i said i cant stand her and i cant stand seeing her hold my baby. but your probely not like that so you can always ignore her in one ear out the other and do what you feel is right its your baby not hers
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• my MIL wouldve stayed with us but we dont have a guest room and she refused to sleep on the couch! this totally ticked me off, the other day we went out to eat and she was holding my DS and people kept coming up saying oh you have such a cute baby and she was letting them think he was hers (she doesnt look her age) finally i startin sayin things like yes she does have an adorable grandson!!!
    Ebony83

Answer by Ebony83 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My MIL is the type of person that will look under your couch just to point out that you missed sweeping under there, or rearrange your dishes in your cabinets, gossip about you as a mother and wife and hogs up her grand kids when you visit. She tries to act like their mom and won't let you hold them or anything. When I was pregnant the first time she told my DH's brother and SIL that she was going to raise our baby. I ended up having a miscarriage but I was still pissed that she said it. She raised hell throughout my whole 2nd pregnancy that our son was going to spend a whole weekend with her the 1st weekend after he was born. She told me he was going to, didn't ask, she demanded it. There was no way I was letting my newborn baby go off for a whole weekend just so she can play 'mommy' to him. There's so much more but I couldn't write it all.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Lucky me! My MIL hates me and dislikes my children (her grandkids.) So, although she lives in the same town as I do, I never see her. She tries to act like she cares when we are at church but, everyone knows she doesn't. If someone comments on if she is helping out, I will tell them that she has only seen the kids 1 times since her son was deployed at the end of January. I asked her to babysit for me once but, she couldn't because she had to go see her boyfriend. I don't care though. I am glad I don't have to deal with her.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:19 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• try having ur soon to be mother in law not happy at all that ur pregnant with your first child but ur husbands 2 biological child. i just found out friday that im 8 weeks pregnant and she is clearly unhappy...his sister in told me that i got pregnant on PURPOSE..how do u get pregnant on purpose..i dont know but mother in laws can be B*t*C* sometimes
    krystalmarie857

Answer by krystalmarie857 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You need to set this straight right now. Tell her the rules. Tell her when she can come over. Tell her that you dont appriciate her comments and your can make your own judgement calls with your child. Better yet get your Hubby to do it. Its his family and he should deal with it. If not set the pace. If you dont for the rest of your life you will hear stupid comments like this. Stand strong. If she wants to see her grandchildren she must follow your rules.!
    Anonymous

• Boundaries, boundaries, boundaries! Set them and enforce them! MIL already had her chance to raise kids, NOW is your turn. Grandkids are not the Grandparents "do-over" in life. You are the MOTHER and you will do things your way, the sooner you tell MIL this and the sooner she understands this -the happier YOU will be. If you don't want her at your house everyday - don't open the door when she shows up, and don't pick up the phone when she calls to invite herself over for the day. Caller ID was my best friend when my 1st was born. Let her advice go in one ear and out the other - that's what I did. My MIL was the same way yours was - wanted me to parent/raise our kids her way. I got fed up - told her if she wanted things done her way to go adopted a baby. I think she got my point then! Don't be affraid to hold your ground, or tell her NO. Good Luck :)
    Anonymous

• I'm pretty lucky with my MIL situation, I've never even met the woman, and it's DH's choice. His mother is the kind that demands that her kids pay her back for raising them and that the grandkids treat her like a mom, so DH nipped that in the bud a long time ago and made it clear that she gets to meet our children but she won't be watching them, ever.
    Anonymous