How do you get a 7 yr old to stop stealing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• have him take it back to the manager and apologize. Since he's seven, i'd also follow up with losing something at home especially if its not the first time.
    If the behavior continues, I'd involve the police/security gaurd to give them a good scare (not actually arrest him, just really bring home the seriousness of it)
    also I'd start looking into WHY is he stealing? and any other related behaviors if this is more than a one time thing.
    my mom made me take something back once (all kids I think do it once) and I never did it again
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Um, I wouldn't know. My kids have never stole, but I have told them that if they did, they would go to the manager and I would make them tell the manager what they did. I would make sure they were good and humiliated.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Make them take whatever it is they stole back to the store and speak directly to the manager. My mom did this to me when I was about 5 and I have never forgotten it! I stole a package of stickers, lol!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Tell him in some countries,they cut your fingers off. No just kiddin.I agree ,make him take whatever back and apoligize,as many times as it takes.Or sneak,and take something he really likes ,like video games and hide them,let him see how it feels for someone to take something that belongs to him.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes, take them to the store manager. Better yet, call ahead and ask the manager to have a security guard on hand to help out.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Make them take back the item and apologize and embarrass the hell out of them my mom did it to me and it worked Im 22 and I still remember the embarrassment I cried. I thought I was going to jail.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2009