do all mother feel this?

Everyone talks about the emotions you feel being a parent. Like happieness and pride and purpose and all but nobody mentions FEAR I think i have the most irrational and rational fears ever! All the time. Thoughts like if she plays anywhere near the road she'll get hit and i don't like anyone but me driving her even my DH if i'm not in the car and i don't like her spending the night out. SHe's 2 now but i'm still so scared. Nothing to bad has ever happened before just a dislocated elbow while playing with friends. But i didn't worry to much about that. I took her to the ER a little upset but it was fixed and i was okay. Does anyone else fear for there children all the time.

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 10:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I do! lol, I tend to over react but I'm getting better. I think it's normal.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I had/have fears like these sometimes too. I think its just a thing that happens once we have children
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It's completly normal.. I think about so many more things now that I have kids than I ever thought about before...
    madtan23

Answer by madtan23 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I am totally terrified about my kids' welfare, all of the time, so while it may not be "normal," at least you're not alone. I look at everything in my house for potential hazards, and I do the same wherever I take my kids. I'm totally neurotic, but I would rather be this way than be one of those parents who don't care about what their kids are getting into.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I have some fears and I've thought about how terrible my life would be if I lost one of my girls or if they were seriously hurt, but I don't let that fear hinder us from living our lives. Ever since my children were almost two they've been spending every Wednesday overnight at my inlaws' house and although it used to bother me that they would take my kids places without me knowing during that time, I've learned to relax - after all they kept my husband alive all his life. I don't make stupid choices though either. I don't let my kids ride in the car with my FIL driving because he's a horrible driver. I don't let play in the front yard without me because it's not fenced, etc...
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 12:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I'm an irrational fear monger anyway. If my husband takes too long at the store, I think he's dead in a ditch. My 2 year old hasn't even been sick really, so I don't think I'll start fearing stuff until he's older. He goes to preschool, but I really don't worry about him.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 12:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Just remember this - your child will become as fearful and afraid as you are. If you want a confident, independent adult, teach your child to be careful and thoughtful and not scared and timid. Yes, we all worry about our children, but we can't have them see our worry. We can only let them see our planning and preparations for a safe, fun, full life.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• yup, I think one of, if not THE HARDEST part of being a parent is learning swallow past that heart up in your throat.
    The thing is to not let them know you are scared, even when you are DYING inside watching them do some crazy stunt, like running, riding a bike, trying to do a handstand etc.etc. Always take a moment to evaluate it ..... and then react.
    IT IS HARD!!!!!!!!!
    but we want our kids to be safe, secure, confident children so we learn to swallow past that huge lump in our throat, smile and say "GOOD JOB honey, I'm so proud of you... lets take the wheels of the bike, let go of mommy's hand, do a cartwheel, play soccer, jump of the diving board, etc
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2009