Bottle feeding breast milk...

I am 14 wks pregnant with my third child. Both of my child were bottle fed using formula and for this one, I am contemplating breast feeding for health & financial reasons. HOWEVER, I was wondering if there are mothers out there who pumped and fed using a bottle rather than exclusively breast feeding. Im sure Im going to get bashed for this but Im not certain that true breastfeeding is for me...Please, I am asking for honest opinions and not to be bashed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did that. My son wouldn't latch on correctly and it made it hard on both of us. He finally stopped at about 2.5 months and I exclusively pumped. I was dead set on NO formula! I made it until he was 13 months old doing nothing but pumping breastmilk and bottle feeding it. I don't regret it for a day. The important part of breastfeeding is the milk, not what it comes out of. Invest in a very nice pump because it makes a lot of difference. You will need to pump at least every 2 hours. A pump isn't as good as a baby as stimulating production so it does take a lot of work. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I think it's a great alternative to formula for mothers who don't want to physically breastfeed or who can't, like in my case.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:03 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I pumped exclusivly until my daughter was 10 months old.. We thought she was colicky until the afternoon my MIL gave her a bottle of pumped breastmilk. We realized she wasn't latching on right (she's my first) and was hungry.. I bought a Medela pump & became best friends with it.. My milk let down was slower than normal, so I pumped for 15-20 min at a time instead of 5-10. But I'm glad I did it. It has to be a personal choice, otherwise itll never work for you. Its way harder than nursing direct. I would recommend pumping as often as she eats (every 2-3 hours, then every 4-5). I wouldn't even let myself sleep through the night because I was worried about losing my supply. Pumping doesn't drain your breasts the same way nursing does, so low milk supply is a common problem. If breast milk is your priority (it was for me), any amount via nursing OR bottle, is great. Even if you only make it a couple of weeks.
    upinstarz

Answer by upinstarz at 11:08 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Breastmilk, is breastmilk, doesn't matter how the child get it, it is still the same milk.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:13 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• For some it is really hard to keep supply up. It is easier when they are nursing to deal with the growth spurts. I am one of the moms who doesn't respond well to a pump. Good luck.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Thank you all for the great answers! What would you guys suggesting for the first couple days once the baby is born and my milk coming in? Start pumping immediately?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I would do as much breastfeeding as you can the first few weeks especially. If you would like, you can pump after each feeding to help increase supply. But starting off, you really should try to breastfeed to help the milk come in. Pumps have very different "sucking" motions than a baby does and it isn't as good as what a baby does. Breastfeed the first week at least and if you have the energy, pump for a few minutes after each feeding. If you start to dip in supply, there are natural supplements to help and there is something your doctor can give you if it gets really bad.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:32 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• milk matters not the way the baby gets it, but like a previous poster said ry for the first week to get yuour supply up... I wanted to breastfeed so badly but when I went back to work I tried pumping but only got 2 ounces if that out of each boob...
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 11:42 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• No bashing here. That's what I have done that for the last month b/c she's a biter and it was making it miserable for us both. I commend u for wanting to try and give your baby the best. Good luck and congratulations!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Im sorry there are so many bashers on this wonderful website :(

I started out breast-feeding, then a few weeks later had to go to breast-pumping. The nurses gave her bottles against my wishes and she ended up with horrible nipple confusion. My milk started to decrease and i became pregnant so i have to formula-feed now. As soon as my 2nd baby is born i'll be breast feeding him or her and pumping for my 1st (she'll be 1 year old).
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 12:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You stated that you're not sure if true breastfeeding is for you. I would suggest (like many others who have already answered you) that you try breastfeeding first. Give it a couple of weeks. It's very rarely easy the first few days. Make sure you work with a lactation consultant (but take her views on formula with a grain of salt). She can help you find the best latching positions for you & the baby. If after 3 or 4 weeks of nursing, you don't feel its for you but you want to keep the baby on breastmilk, start pumping. Pumping also takes some time to figure out what works best for you. I would suggest a medela pump in style or similar pump. the cheaper versions (anything under the $100 mark) are not as effective. They are great for supplementing nursiing, but iff you're going to pump exclusively, spend the money on a good pump ($250 & up). I found some really good deals on Medelas online, but buy new!
    upinstarz

Answer by upinstarz at 1:07 PM on Mar. 12, 2009