Sleeping With A Pillow & Going Into A Toddler Bed.

I was just wondering how old a child should be before starting to sleep with a pillow & how old they should be before taking them out of the Crib/Playpen to sleep in a toddler bed for the first time.

LilCutiePie

Asked by LilCutiePie at 11:05 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on the child really, my daughter transitioned to a toddler bed at 2 years old with minimal problems. We put a gate in her door just to make sure she dosent wander around the house and I highly recommend that! I gave her a little pillow at about a year and a half old, she LOVED it! Good luck :)
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 11:13 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• like the poster above me, it depends on the child. My son didnt' go to a toddler bed till he was closer to 3 years. Daughter was a lot younger. We kept them in their cribs till they learned to climb out. When they went to toddler beds, they had pillows, but never kept pillows in the crib. At least not that I remember, that was a LONG time ago for us lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:17 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• For the pillow, if it's safe for blankets and small stuffed animals, it's safe. When does a child NEED a pillow? Not until after 3 or 4. A toddler's head is very large compared to her shoulders. We use a pillow to help raise our heads a little - her head is so large that it is naturally "raised".

For the bed, yep, it depends on the child. The AAP recommends doing everything you can to keep a child in a CRIB until 3. Beds provide tons of freedom which infants are certainly not ready for and most toddlers aren't either. A child in a bed can get up whenever she wants, exploring and playing at all hours of the night. Some very young toddlers do fine since they haven't really learned that they can disobey. Once they are old enough to understand that nothing is keeping them in the bed, many parents wish they could bring the crib back but it's too late. Think long and hard before making the switch. Cribs are safer.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• my daughter went to her toddler bed at 10 months and got a pillow then...never had a problem...but my daughter figure out how to get her tall self to climb up and out of the crib..once in the bed no problems at all..she would go right to sleep..she didn't start getting out of her bed to play with things until probably 15 months or soo..she is almost 2 1/2 now and we are about to move her to a normal bed
    AProudUSMCWife

Answer by AProudUSMCWife at 2:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My kids where not climbers- so they stayed in their cribs until 2 1/2 years old- then into a toddler bed (no pillow)- at 4 1/2 I just moved my oldest into a twin bed w/ his first pillow.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2009