When did your child, or when do most children, switch from two naps a day to just one nap a day?

My son is 11 months old, and it seems like he may be getting to the point where is might be okay with staying up longer in the morning, and then just taking a nap after lunch. But, how do I know when he is ready? When did other children make this switch?

Danda08

Asked by Danda08 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes thats fine, at about 1 yr old, they can go down to one nap, from like 1-4, 2 to 3 hrs, good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It is usually at about 11/12 months. I think you should give it a try and see how it goes. My son started right at his first birthday. It is probably going to be about 2-3 hours but give him some time to work his way into his new schedule. I put my son down after lunch, usually around 12 and he would wake up at like 2:45-3:00.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:11 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Mine was 14 months. Most do so by 18 months... exactly when really varies.
    How did I know it was time? She stopped going to sleep for her afternoon nap. If your little one is still going to sleep for both naps and is still going down easily at night, he still needs both naps.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I was BLESSED- my son stopped taking 2 naps when he was about 2 and a half! He now takes one nap after lunch and he sleeps from 1:30 till usually about 4:30 or 5- then he goes to bed at 8pm sharp and wakes up at 6am sharp :) How....STRICT ROUTINE :)
    jessicasea

Answer by jessicasea at 12:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• my son is 6 months old and is pretty much on 1 nap for about 2 hours in the afternoon after lunch..the same time my daughter almost 2 1/2 goes down too...every once in while he might crash for 10 min in the vening if we had a busy day..and the dr.s say it is fine they switch when they are ready..
    AProudUSMCWife

Answer by AProudUSMCWife at 2:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2009