• In the Spotlight:

Having trouble burping my infant

My son is 4 weeks old and doesn't like to burp. I've tried over the shoulder as well as sitting him up and bending him over. As soon as I lay him down to change his diaper, he spits up. My first child had no issues burping. Any suggestions??

atedesco

Asked by atedesco at 11:07 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I found it easiest to burp my first son by laying him on his tummy on my lap with his head to the side. I'd pat and rub his back (rubbing it usually did the trick better than patting), it was pretty reliable =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:11 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I am having that trouble still. My son will be four months next week. He is doing better that when he was first born but I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of. I even asked his doctor because he was spitting up a lot and she told me to burp him or keep him upright for at least ten to fifteen minutes after feeding. It helped a little but every once and a while it's just be plain chaos!
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 11:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• pump his legs. lay him on his back and slowly bend his legs into his belly. Do this for a little bit. It was the only way I could get DS to burp
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• With my daughter, I had to massage the burp up and out of her. While holding her in the typical burping position, against my shoulder,and my hand in the small of her back, I would rub (with pressure) upward. This would relax her muscles, and the burp would pop out. And I could tell when she needed to burp, because her back muscles would be very tense. She's two now, but sometimes she'll wake up at night with a specific sounding cry, and I'll pick her up, massage up her back, she'll burp and go right back to sleep.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Try leaving him in the laying down position (or reclined....whatever position he was feeding in) for a couple of minutes before sitting him up. Sometimes it just takes a minute for all the bubbles to find each other in his tummy. Then, over the shoulder bouncing at the knees is a good one to help get out the bubbles. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• i would set on the edge of the couch and lay baby over my legs with his tummy down and gently bounce my legs and pat is back. that the only way to get him to burp and his about to be 4 in april and still loves for me to do that to him. just be careful that his neck in not bouncing around that means you are bouncing to much.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 11:49 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Don't pat! just rub, be patient and know that they don't always need to burp- sometimes they didn't swallow air when feeding espeically bf'd babies
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2009