Anyone ever have to use a Code Adam in a store?

This weekend I was shopping in Ross. SO went to a store next door and he left our 3 yo with me and took our other kids with him. I was holding my son's hand and let go to take a shirt off the rack. When I turned around he was gone so I began looking for him. His dad came back in the store so we started lookin for him. We couldn't find him so I told SO to tell an employee and I went outside to see if he went out. I walked down the sidewalk looking in other stores, called SO on cell to see if he reported it. He said he did but they weren't helping him look because "they were really busy" Long story short, we found him but the employees were of no help! Then when we were walking out, there was a Code Adam decal on the window indicating that the store is supposed to implement that procedure when a child is reported missing. I was upset that noone seemed concerned in helping us but soo thankful we found him!! I feel so bad though..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• NO but one time I "lost" my son in a Priceless Kids -kids clothing store- I was looking on a rack right next to where they had a tv and little benches so I let him (3 or 4 at the time) sit on a bench and watch the movie, the rack is between me and him but I can see over it so thought it was ok. Well he decided to crawl under the rack -those circular ones- and even when I started freaking out he never made a peep until I started crying and really freaking out then he came out and said "I'm right here mommy"! I alternated between hugging and reprimanding for about 5 minutes! It was scary!
    I cannot believe those employees were so awful- I would call today and ask to speak to a manager about it they obviously need better training!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You should have reported it to a manager. They should have done something. Yes when I worked at sears we had a code adam once, but it really ticked me off cause the kid was 13!!! And he purposely walked out of the store to go to a video game store. Everyone had to stop what they were doing and search for this boy who just walked out of the store to go into the mall. When he came back he acted like he did nothing wrong.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• yea krazyash, i should have talked to a manager but I was so scared, relieved and a million other emotions at once I just wanted to go home! But I may call and let them know what happened....just so someone else doesn't go through that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It's not too late. Call the store and speak to the manager now!! You were lucky and found your kid. The next parent the employees ignore might not be so lucky!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I've never had to use the Code Adam... but every time I hear one, I stop what I'm doing and start looking for the child. That's MY worst nightmare (or was when my boys were small), so I can just imagine the panic in any mother when she can't find her child. Of course if I approach a stray child I'm speaking loudly enough that people around me know I'm inquiring where the child's parents are and NOT sneaking around.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes you should go back in there and have a nice sit down with the General Manager. I worked at Borders and we had a very strict policy that everyone was aware of. No kids were even allowed out of the store until this kid were found...there were so many regulations on it.
    I would let them have it tactfully. And corporate office would hear about this too.
    Complaining now may be for the next kid that is lost and may really be in danger.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:42 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It's not too late to call the manager and tell them what happened. I worked at Walmart in college and this happened on night. It was like everything in the store stopped. Every employee stopped what they were doing, even cashiers and they were looking for this child. Even the other customers started helping. I was really proud of my co-workers! That is the way things should operate. The manager told us if a customer has a problem with the employees not checking them out to help look for this missing child, they could take their business somewhere else. Call the manager, it's not too late. Tell them your feelings on it and that you and your family and friends will not support a store that does not support lost children!
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I would call and report it to the store and if they don't act like they care, I would call above that store.
    mommyflynn5

Answer by mommyflynn5 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You should go to walmart when they have a code adam,, lol,,they scream out over the mic,,ATTENTION ATTENION WALMART SHOPPERS,WE HAVE A LOST MOTHER HER NAME IS SHERYL,ATTENTION,,,,how unnnerving for the poor mom!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 12:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I used to work at Wal-Mart and I had to page a code adam. The poor mom when she came and found me was so upset and crying and we were busy in the store that night, I stopped what I was doing and helped her EVERYONE who was working in the store that night stopped what they were doing to look for this child. We finally found him he had wandered into the back of the store, but he was ok.
    You need to call the store today they should have done the code adam, no matter what.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 12:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2009