Do you have A lot out of work in your Area?

How's the Job situation in your Area? Here its Very Slow! Family members I have are out of work! What's Being lost your way? For us its Welding Jobs, Assembly, Retail, The Mills, House Building, Windows, Manufactoring Etc..

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 11:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• Most places around here are still hiring. It's things like warehouses/distribution centers mostly. The fast food places and Walmart are hiring as well. There are a few warehouses that aren't working and are laying people off like Circuit City like most of them are still going strong. This is in Southern Oklahoma. The recession really hasn't hit Oklahoma as much as it has other areas. My husband is a Mud Engineer so the oil field slowing down has hit us some.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Cleveland Ohio. need I say more?
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes. I live in Euclid, Ohio. I can't remember exactly where but another local city here is hiring a janitor for 15 an hr plus benefits at a school and they have at this point over 700 applications. The ad was place in a local paper last weekend.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I live in FL. Pretty much every industry is losing jobs around here. The few jobs there are get snapped up almost before they're available. I've found 3 jobs to apply for in the last 3 weeks, and every one of them told me that they already had 200-300 applications. And I live in a rural area. Even the fast food places aren't hiring. Of course, where I live, for most people, when money is tight, fast food is one of the first things to go, so that's probably why they're not hiring.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Funny you should mention this. We have several businesses at malls in the midwest. We just got back from a week and a half of hiring and firing. What this means is that it is extremely hard to find good people. While we advertised these openings, we received very little response. It's shocking! I even asked around the town about people being laid off from factories, etc... YES high unemployment rates in towns.. still no one was looking for a job. Do you suppose they are all on unemployment and want to stay that way? We had management positions for 10.00 an hour! Nothing... zip... zilch. Impossible.
    Anonymous

• All of Ohio is in bad shape. I live near Akron and we have 2 companies that are letting a lot of people go - one makes tire wheels and is laying off 150 people, the other is First Energy Corp who is letting over 300 people go! There are a lot of people who had high paying executive type jobs and I doubt they would settle for a $10/hr. job. BUT, I wouldn't mind finding one!
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 9:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Our town is in horrible shape.....tons of stores closing down, lots of lay-off's and hiring freezes, even McDonald's is picky about who they hire. We live an hour south of DC, but I don't know how the employment situation is up there.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2009