What's The Average Cost for Tax Preparing Fees For A Basic filing?

We are both unemployed & have file Basic & Simple!! Where or what is the Cheapest safe Way?

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 11:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• I love Turbo Tax. They have a free federal file and they always get us the most back. It's so easy to use and there is no way you can miss a deduction.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My dd went to IRS.GOV and filed it herself online through their links and it was free

Answer by admckenzie at 11:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Its a cost per form.
    My step mother charges $25 per form (I think - she does mine for free)
    I know that she is on the very low end of the scale. If you call H&R Block and just ask how much they charge per form they will tell you. You'll need at least one for Federal and one for state. The ez form is usually less so make sure you get the charge for both. Also ask what they charge for electronic filing. I did the H&R Block tax course ages ago and they respect people more who ask the costs upfront. You're talking about accountants and wantta-be accountants, they ask the cost of everything! So you'll be in good company. Of course if you didn't make a great amount and are afraid to do them yourself, the IRS will do them for you for FREE. And even if you make over their limit to get them done for free, they charge less than anyone. And you'll know that you'll get all your deduction.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 12:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• h&r costs like 200. DONT go to them they are a rip off. id go to the irs or do turbo tax
    Anonymous