Have you heard about this bill proposed in CT? Bill S.B. 1098? It is a direct attack on the Catholic Church and our organization.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/TOB/S/2009SB-01098-R00-SB.htm

It limits the powers of our organizational structure. A structure that has been in place for 2000 years! How can this possibly be legal?? It is a violation of the separation of Church and State. There are no Catholics that have complained about how the Church uses our tithings. The State just decided to step in!

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 11:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree that the gov. shouldn't be interfering in the workings of the church. I'm not catholic so I cant comment on any of those issues, but that is really rediculous. Exactly like you said beck.. what happened to separation of church and state?
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• This is ridiculously offensive. I don't live in CT or I'd be all over it. You're gonna have to do some major rallying, girl, good luck!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:49 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• "To revise the corporate governance provisions applicable to the Roman Catholic Church and provide for the investigation of the misappropriation of funds by religious corporations." This statement of purpose is kind of disturbing. Can they do this? What happened to start this? I know you said there were no complaints, but what on earth is the state trying to do? I don't know all the details because I don't live in CT, but to me this just seems so wrong. Why single out the Roman Catholic Church?

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Well the Senator and the Rep introducing the bill have been a little unclear on their intent, but we believe that it is a veiled attempt to intercede in Catholic social teachings. This State has continually attacked the Catholic Churches right to their religious independence. It might be an attack on the Churches position on gay marriage (I feel differently than the Church does, but I don't think the State should interfere with the Church on any issues). Also, they been trying to enforce a law that says that Catholic hospitals HAVE to perform abortions, despite the fact that there are plenty of other near by hospitals that can do this so there is no reason that a Catholic organization should have to do it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I'm sure your priest is already aware of this, but you need to get the bulk of the Catholic church involved. This is truly something worth fighting for. If I can do anything (I'm not a resident, so letters from me will be laughed at.) but I'll show up and protest if you want. . .Always wanted to see CT. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I personally don't see any reason for this. unless maybe they feel entitled to do so if the churches run as non-profits or have anything to do with taxes.

either way, I'm Agnostic and for separation of church and state. this is definitely a violation of that.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Oh my...that sounds really suspicious then. And the thing about the hospitals? That's terrible, though I think they tried to do that where I used to live. It didn't work fortunately. I don't agree with the Church's position on gay marriage either, but they have the right to that opinion and the state should not interfere. This is a clear violation of the separation of church and state I'd think. I'm assuming the Church will be fighting this?

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• The Church is fighting it very strongly, but it is still upsetting that it's even in existence. Why is it that the separation is only ever evoked in protection of the State? It goes both ways and was written to protect the Churches first!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes, that's what is the most frustrating...and alarming in a way too. I hope this thing fails. Otherwise it could set a precedent that leads other states to do the same (if it hasn't been done in some states already).

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• This is terrible and I don't see how it could be legal in anyway.
    Here's some more info from another site: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2201918/posts
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2009