Torn about my Faith..any advice?

For the past few months I have been very torn about my faith. I am a Catholic & I have been snce I was baptized as a baby. Lately though I've been having some serious questions as to whether this "religion" is right for me still. I think I've had these feelings for awhile, but they're really coming to the surface now. it all started whn I got married in the Catholic Church in 1997 & then divorced in 1998. I tried to have the annulment done. First off the questions were VERY personal. I had to withdraw the annulment because my witnesses didn't provide enough information. Now I'm told that I can't receive communion.
This is my problem. It's all these "rules". I have talked to my DH & he said that even though he didn't agree with a lot of things the Catholic Church teaches, he's not leaving. I think I might want to leave, but I know I would upset a lot of people.
Does anyone have any advice? And yes, I have been praying.

JLee07

Asked by JLee07 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My advice is to follow your heart not your head or any guilt or pressure(and ya that is hard not to do).
    God wants you to be happy most of all. If you arent happy then you arent going to progress and feel the love he offers you.

Write down what you believe in for sure and what you dont. Find a few churches and visit them and see how they feel to you.

It takes a lot to leave something you've known your whole life. It takes a lot to explore and let the guilt and fear subside. Its worth it all if you find where your heart and soul lead you and where you feel whole.
    Pretending anything less for others will only make you miserable in the long run and thats not what you or your god want Im sure.

GL, if you ever wanna talk just beep me!
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:57 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I was raised Catholic. I'm no longer Catholic. I had to follow my heart. If its laying strong on your heart that its not right for you, then that is the holyspirit talking to you. Telling you to get out of there and do what is right. I went from Catholic to baptist now I'm a born again Christian. I have no spacific denomonation. I'm just a born again Christian. It might not be so for you. I had upset my entire family. They are all roman catholic. And it took them some time to get over it. But they did.
    I will pray for you mommy.
    It takes a lot to make a change thats so big. Its hard. I wont lie, its very hard. You should really put a lot of thought and prayer into this before you make up your mind. Really ask god if this is what he wants you to do. And if its what he wants then go for it.
    Good luck if you need or want to talk, just send me a message and I will do my best to help.
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Definitely follow your heart. It is not actually your religion if you don't agree with it. Take some time to look into other ideas that you feel you may connect with. The odds are you will feel a lot happier and at peace when you can be comfortable in your own beliefs. When you are strong in your own beliefs, you can let others know how you feel. Some of them may even be supportive.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I'm no longer a Catholic either because of this kind of stuff. It's not very Godly if you ask me.

I agree with everyone's posts so far. Follow your heart. Take some deep breaths and make some quiet time to listen to GOD. Ask Him to lead you and you'll be surprised what opens up for you. Good luck on your search.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 12:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I think you should discuss all of these issues with your priest. See where he stands on everything. Maybe he can explain some things and give you some advice that can help you make your decision about whether or not you want to continue in the Catholic church.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Sounds familiar...baptized, raised Catholic mom here. The ritualistic faith never made me feel at peace. There was always something lacking. Lost is the best description I can give of my life from the time I was around 16-33. I was led to a church that has changed my life, my husband and children's lives also. We are born-again Christians leading a Christian life. There is a deep God connection that brought me to this church. For me, it is an evangelical Assembly of God church. We the members get to know each other, frequently have pot-luck dinners, go to events like Joyce Meyer, participate in outreach activities (feeding and eating with the homeless, giving just to give), and we actually open,read and study the Bible. Follow your feelings about God, visit a few churches and see which one you connect with! I'll pray for you to find inner spiritual pathway to God!
    luv2salsa

Answer by luv2salsa at 1:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You path is not in that church. I have found that the Catholics aren't very forgiving of human mistakes. Sometimes you get pregnant before you get married--you thought he loved you and he just thought you were easy. Sometimes you marry the wrong man--young people do that a lot because they don't have any experience in knowing the right one. Sometimes you're just not cut out to try and raise 13 kids--I consider birth control to be just as god-given as a baby is. Otherwise the makings for birth control pills and condoms would not exist, right?? When I became an atheist witch I stopped going to church. My husband didn't--not right away. And that was okay. Take a break from churches. Let hubby follow his own path. You need to find yours.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I grew up Catholic, I still retain the values & the uplift of my Catholic foundation - things like carrying out distasteful, difficult tasks for the glory of God (as my contribution to the betterment of the world), and a sense of receiving strength from the fountain of Christ's support. I think it is super-important to distinguish the info about spiritual realities (angels working in our lives, Mother Mary's interest in our welfare, Christ's nourishing uplift, the Holy Spirit's inspiration for our daily decisions, etc. ) ... to distinguish these aspects of Catholicism from the "social club" aspects of it, such as pressure to conform to rules. Since the 16th or 17th century, absolute freedom in religion is the only proper attitude - even on the part of a priest or cardinal. They can and should preach and teach about insights which they understand to be important for taking care of our own souls. Then it's our own responsibility
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It's kind of odd to my mind that a priest or the congregation even KNOW your private business - I mean, your practicing of religion (worship of Christ, etc.) is YOUR free commitment. ... Beyond broadcasting spiritual or moral pros and cons, a priest doesn't really have anything to do with you, even less does anyone in the congregation ... Perhaps you live in such a small town situation that people are too nosy?
    For myself, I was delighted to discover "the Christian Community: a movement for religious renewal" which is a thinking-man's continuation of Catholicism. They honor and practice the Mass and sacraments, with the "blind faith" and the "obedience" parts removed. ... Also, the Episcopal Church is very similar to the Catholic Church, with more freedom.
    Best wishes !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Research other beliefs and see if you find a better fit. You may find something new or you may strengthen the faith you already have. But don't stick with something because you feel obligated or because it's the way you were raised. It always a good thing to broaden your horizons and explore your surroundings. www.religioustolerance.org
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2009