My ten yr old daughter has adhd and is becoming increasing diffcult what do i do?

she is on vvyasne and it is a constanse struggle with her to have her do any thing that i ask( clean your room...take a shower... do your homework....pick up after your self....brush your teeth....and so on). its nothing that is too hard.but it turn in to a battle.she can be the sweetest child but sometimes she pushes all my buttons and alls i can do is just break down and cry. i need help. we have already changed her meds from riadilin to the vvyanse it has helped for the most part but when it wears off be ready.i just would like to know if there are any tricks or tlks that i could heve wth her to help her understand what she is doing is not the right way.or if there is something that i can do to show her the right way to deal with things.

alice1977

Asked by alice1977 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Depending on where you live, and what resources are available, you could get some assistance from a Behavioral Health agency. I worked as a Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS) worker, also referred to as a "wrap around" and wrap around agency. They are agencies that deal specifically with behavior issues, not education. There is a team of a Behavior Specialist Consultant and/or a Mobile Therapist, they are in charge of the treatment plan and specific goals that need met for the child and family. The TSS works on these goals daily, or as specified by the treatment team. Teachers at your childs school should be able to help you. Or if you have any further questions feel free to msg me personally. And btw, this treatment is typically covered through insurance. And if your child recieves benefits through the ACCESS card it is covered through that, at least it was in Pennsylvania. Hope I helped some!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Well, the meds may not be working that well, or may be wearing off too soon. My sons both have adhd. What works best with them is to tell them what I want them to do when I want them to do it. Not "Please take the garbage out later" but "Take the garbage out now, please." Also, I have charts for them, with lists of all the things they do each day. They get stickers for doing things when asked only once, and they get extra stickers for doing it without being asked at all. After so many stickers, they get rewarded with simple things, like staying up late one night on the weekend, or picking dinner that night, or something like that. With adhd, it really is a matter of just staying on top of them. You can't just sit back and hope they'll do what you ask; you have to actively stay involved and with them to ensure it gets done. It's hard, but just remember that she doesn't do it on purpose and she'll get better as she gets older.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I have 2 ADD sons and an ADHD son. Part of what you are dealing with is pre-teen and not the disorder. That part requires you just treat her as a regular teen who needs to learn boundaries and respect. The other part requires you to "think" like a person with ADHD. Try to see the world from her point of view. You only hear part of a list of chores, you really don't know what a clean room looks like, social cues are not as obvious, you really don't know where you took your shoes off. Make lists, job charts, time schedules, buy a timer for homework, make a quiet place for homework, take pictures of her room clean so she knows what it should look like, label a bin for her shoes, and most importantly, be patient and tell her that 1,000th time what to do and how to act.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My son is on Vyvanse too. 70 mg a day. I don't think it has much to do with the meds or ADD, it could be the start of puberty and her age. My son doesn't listen to anything that I say either. Try keeping a schedule and be strict about it. Use chore charts, positive reinforcement, incentives. Take away her favorite things. I have started to have my son write dictionary pages when he doesn't listen...he has changed his ways before having to write one page. I will be using the pages with whatever word he has done is on it. Disrespect, lie, etc. Be patient, it won't last forever. I do ignore the back talk and disrespectful talk until he changes his tone.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2009