Hair Color

OK, with this economy I am trying to cut spending any way I can. Well, I am thinking about trying to dye my own hair. I don't want to go lighter. I've tried that before and learned my lesson. I just want to cover the gray. My natural hair color is a medium brown. Have any of you ladies been brave enough to do it yourself? What is the best dye to buy? What gives the most accurate results and is easiest and gentle? I would love to throw in just a few highlights too around my face but I know that is harder to do. Thanks for your input :-)

M2Mommy

Asked by M2Mommy at 12:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I too could no longer afford the $110 to professionally die my hair. And you know what? I do not miss it. I use Preference by Loreal Medium Auburn Brown, which gives my hair highlights and leaves it shiny and soft. My hair is a medium brown as well. It is easy (I am the opposite of any one who can do hair- I suck at it) and it is very easy and costs me about $6. Good Luck!
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 12:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Well if your hair is natural color at the moment it wount be hard to lighten it with a lighter shade of hair color, but if your hair has an artificial color, it would have to be done by profecional only...becouse color dosn't lighter color(bleach does) and also color takes diferently on precolored hair and outgrown roots
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• If you do it yourself, just make sure you dont use anything ash. Even if you hate red tones, you are playing with fire if you use ash. Most over-the-counter haircolors use green as an ash base, so your hair can come out with a hint of green. Professional colors can be mixed and matched by a stylist so you can get a tru "ashy" color without the green. So look for something like your natural - medium brown. Loreal is a good brand.
    KeikoRose

Answer by KeikoRose at 10:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Garnier Fructiese Or however u spell it. I love it. Color last forever..has a great rinsing conditioner with it leaves ur hair feeling like silk!!
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 2:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i agree with the other mom garnier nurtissee is really great, it smells good and it last long and the color is always true to the box. i have try other hair colors to get red hair and they always seem to make my hair orange but once i find this product i was alittle afaird of it turning my hair orange like the other but it didn't and it was the red i was always lloking for.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2009