anybody going thru problem with son on drugs and he keeps using and i have tried every avenue to help but he doesnt want help

raggedy68

Asked by raggedy68 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I have always said you cant help someone who does not want help, and its true with addicts also. But if he is under the age of 18 you can make him get help. There are "private schools' that focus on teens with addiction (my husband went to two different ones when he was teen) but these can be expensive and long treatment options.
    Anonymous

• I feel sorry for your son. Have you tried medical intervention?
    Anonymous

• If he is under 18, report him to the authorities. He needs help now while you can give it to him. It's for his own good. Better to have a juvenile record then a criminal adult record. Also, better than you getting caught for not reporting him and you end up in the system with him as a dependency case and charges against yourself.
    Anonymous

• dont report you son to the authorities or send him to a stupid school... Addiction is more than that... regardless of where you send him, if he doesnt want help, he wont take it. But to FORCE him into the help, is DEF not going to do anything... he has to hit his bottom. Offer to take him to meetings in your area...narcotic anonymous meetings... You can find them locally around you on NA.org

dont force your son into anything or report him, he will resent you and it might make things worse... All you can do is try to be there to the best of your ability.. try narnon meetings... they are meetings for people who struggle with a child or family member with addiction and gives you helpful tips on how to deal with things.. I think best bet is to look into the narnon meetings & see what you get out of it with suggestions and stuff.... if your not willing to do that & just feel the need to send your son away to a school.. con...
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• than your not showing your son YOUR willingness in the situation....
    Help him to the best of your ability... dont just throw him away in a facility & think its gonna make shit better...

Good luck...
    kwiseman19

• oh and PS -
    You wont get charged for his addiction... You wont get charged or go to court for NOT REPORTING your son to the authorities.. so thats just a stupid thing to say.. sorry anon.
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• kwiseman19....

you obviously don't know the laws of juvenile court, so why would you comment that is stupid? That's how the law is unfortunately. They just haven't been reported by anyone yet. If someone who knew her reported to the authorities that she has a minor child knowingly on drugs and is in her home and not doing anything about it then yes, social services would get involved. If she tries to get him help and he gets caught, then it's on him, but the burden of proof is on her to show that she has done EVERYTHING in her power to get him help.
    Anonymous

• She wouldnt get in trouble, Yes social services might be involved... but SHE wont get penalized... I think its so stupid to suggest reporting her son to the authorities or sending him to a private school... ITS YOUR KID, HANDLE THEM.
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I'm not going through a teen with addiction, but I knew several in high school and my husband has alcohol issues. The biggest thing is you can't force him. However there is usually a reason it starts. Try and see what his may be. You can help with the problem behind the addiction, but the addiction is up to. As for that part just be supportive in his progress. Encourage the good dicisions he is making. Depending on what drugs he's on when he is ready he may need lots of help. Both medical and supportive.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Thats out the question.... He dont want HELP..

You must help him..

You must save your son by any means...

He is not going to want help.. because he might me depress, stress, worn down by the drugs, drain, etc..

Help your son.

You maybe his ONLY hope...

Please email me with an update.

I will pray that God moves within your son heart and soul..
    Also, I will pray that he enlighten your heart because I know this has to be a burden on you..

I pray that he leads you to the right person for help.

Stay strong..

God is with you every step of the way..

Keep the faith..

Elizabeth1837
    Elizabeth1837

Answer by Elizabeth1837 at 8:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2009