GET RID OF MY CAT?!?!?!

IS IT TRUE I HAVE TO GET RID OF MY CAT NOW THAT IM PREGNANT?!?! I WAITED YEARS TO GET A CAT AND JUST DID LAST YEAR NOW I HEARD IT CAN CAUSE MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH MY PREGNANCY!!!!!!!!!!! IS THIS JUST A MYTH OR SHOULD I REALLY BE GETTING RID OF MY KITTY?!?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no you don't have to. Just make sure you have someone else change the liter. I had the same cat thru all my pregnancys
    lovelily79

Answer by lovelily79 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• No, you don't need to get rid of your cat. They recommend someone else to clean the litter. But in my case I am the only one who can clean the cat litter. So I have to take extra precautions. I have to wear rubber gloves, and I also use a mask... then I just wash my hands thoughly after I am done handling the litter. I have been tested for toxoplasmosis and I do not have it.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GET RID OF YOUR KITTY!!!!!
    Just make sure your kitty is healthy, and you have somebody else clean the litter box, and you will be perfectly fine.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Like the PP's said you don't have to get rid of your cat, just don't change the litter. I personally would have a fit if I had to get rid of my cat, he's my fuzzy little stalker now that I'm pregnant and he hates being more than one room away from me, so he sticks close and purrs all the time, keeps me calm and pretty amused. I was also tested for toxoplasmosis early in my pregnancy and it turns out that I was exposed to it 20 years ago so it would be harder for me to get it again (or so says the dr)
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 12:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• NO! Keep your kitty. Just don't change the littler box. Actually I HAD to do it a couple of times, I just wore gloves and washed my hands and arms well after, and all was fine.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You can actually have your kitty tested for the condition that causes miscarriage. It comes from a cat eating other animals, so, have your cat tested if you don't have anyone else to change the box (if he never goes outside you should be pretty safe if he comes up negative) and make sure to wear gloves and I think a mask would be a good idea too. It really is easier to have someone else do it for you if at all possible, but its not necessary to get rid of your beloved kitty!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Please don't get rid of your kitty! The number one reason for surrender and euthanasia is pregnant women being scared of contracting Toxoplasmosis. There is a blood test that you and your cat can have done to see if either of you already have it [if you test positive, you don't need to worry about passing it on to your baby]. The best ways to avoid Toxo are to clean the cat box daily [the parasite isn't active in fresh poop] and to cook your meat thoroughly. The effects of the disease are not terribly common, when they are present it is even more rare that it will result in disabilities in the baby or miscarriage.
    doodlefish

Answer by doodlefish at 1:46 AM on Mar. 20, 2009