how will i know?

so its getting close i know.. and im really worried i wont know its happening until its really happening. people ask me if i have had any braxtin hicks and i dont really know. and i cant tell if she has dropped or anything. im tiny so its all baby all the time. ha. my stomach is always hard so i couldnt tell ya if i have had any contractions. :/

emily..ann

Asked by emily..ann at 12:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You'll know when you have a real contraction. Braxton Hicks are hard because if you ever ask anyone they say it's just pressure, there's no pain, you don't feel them at all, etc. but in my own experience with my last pregnancy and this one, all the Braxton Hicks I had were slightly painful and felt pretty much like stomach cramping. Real contractions are different though. They're timed perfectly apart and for me there was no denying what they were. They were much different than any other feeling I had experienced in pregnancy and when I went into labor I KNEW it was labor...there was never any doubt. This pregnancy has been so much easier since I've known what to look for and haven't had to run to the OB or the hospital every time something new has happened, lol.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 12:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I had the same issues when I was pregnant. how will I know? Should I go into the L&D? What? How? When? Where? Yeah... but unless you experience labor once you won't be able to understand everyone telling you, you'll KNOW.

But....lol...you'll KNOW when it's the real thing. Women's bodies are interesting machines...just listen to it, your body will tell you when its time and what to do. ^_^
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 1:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You know, I actually did not have a clue that I was in labor with my son. I knew I felt really crappy but was sure my doctor was just going to tell me again that the aches were normal. I heard that a LOT. I actually had a doctors appointment the day my son was born and started to notice in the waiting room that the pains I was having were coming 5 minutes apart. Turns out I was dilated to a 5. My son was born 5 hours later. My advice to you would be to try to find some nice calm time everyday where you can just sit and relax and pay attention to your body and how you feel. A contraction feels just like a period cramp (I didn't know). Once you are really really in labor you will for sure know, don't doubt yourself. It gets VERY obvious! And of course, you can always call or go to labor and delivery if you think you could be in labor, you won't be the first or the last to think you might be but aren't sure.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2009