Anyone have a pet rat?

Does anyone have a pet rat or know anything about them. We have 3 lol. Yeah, we went to the pet store and came home with three! I love them though. I just want to know if anyone has any experience with them or not.

jen_wikstrom

Asked by jen_wikstrom at 12:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Pets

• I don't have one but I love them. They are so smart and clean and have a way better personality than hamsters. I used to deal with them a lot when I worked at a pet shop, I never had a rat even try to bite me, the hamsters were psycho and bit all the time. I remember having a customer who had a pet rat he took with him everywhere. He rode a motorcycle and he would keep the rat inside his jacket when they were riding and the rat had his own little leather jacket and harness. He would just sit on the guy's shoulder or crawl into the pocket in his jacket when he got tired. :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• No, but I have always wanted one! They actually are very smart animals, and make great pets!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• We had three pet rats. They are the best rodent to have for a pet.
    Anonymous

• KTMOM, that is so cute about the "Rat and the Motorcycle"
    Anonymous

• rats love different kinds of veggies and fruits my rat loves cherry or grape tomatoes, carrots, he even likes cheese it, it is important that you take them out, and play with them so they are use to people, and get some exercise too!!
    victoria4488

Answer by victoria4488 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• No, me personally rats, mice, and species like that freaks me out. Atleast it does now. When i was little i remember having hampsters . Now, those even give me the heaby jeebes.
    Anonymous

• They are very bright and clever little animals! Take lots of time to handle them when they are young so they will be accustomed to you. Just a thought- since you bought three, are you one hundred percent sure they are all the same gender? If not, you could end up with a whole pile of baby rats very quickly! You can look on the web for ways to tell the gender- it's very obvious with adult animals but can be harder to tell with immature animals. Just a thought!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I got Mickey rat at the pet store and played with him alot when young and he got so smart and loveable like a dog or something. I made clothes for him and he folloed me everywhere and loved to take baths and play in the water. Then my evil ex feed him corn and he bloted up and i took him to the vet and they had to put him to sleep! It killed me!!!! Thats when i found out he was a girl!!!! I loved her so much and to this day if she could come back to me, these dogs would have to go!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Mar. 13, 2009

• I used to have rats when I was in high school and then again before I had my kids. I have three females now and love them to pieces! I just got them last week. My hairless I saw at PetSmart and just melted. I had to have her. The other two, I was at a local pet store getting a new dog harness and someone was trying to drop off a mommy rat and her 8 week old daughter. The pet store wouldn't take them - so I did. There is a chance that both of them could be pregnant. Crossing fingers that they aren't. I should know soon.) Rats really are the best pet. They are clean, easy to care for, intelligent, soooo affectionate, quiet, fun, and the list goes on and on. The only bad thing is that they don't live very long, only 2-3 years. Rat breeders are working on that though. There is even rat agility now!
    luvmylife1010

Answer by luvmylife1010 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 31, 2009