When did you switch from infant seat to car seat?

llomb

Asked by llomb at 12:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you are supposed to wait til 1 yr old or depending on their weight fi they are smaller at a year.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My DD started getting really heavy to carry around so we got her a convertible car seat at six months. She still faces backward and it's made for 5-35 lbs. As long as the car seat is made for the weight of your child, you can switch whenever you want to.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• We put them in a carseat at 4 months. They were getting close to the max weight for the carrier and were too heavy to lug around any longer! I kept it for use in the shopping carts or with the stroller, though.

They actually seemed much more comfortable in their convertible seats. By the time our third boy arrived, we actually just put him in the carseat and didn't even use the carrier at all.

(the one year and 20lbs is for forward facing, not for a convertible or rearfacing carseat)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My kids are tall..and then out grow the lenght of it..our daughter did by 7 months and we got a convertible cause she was light weight and didn't get to turn around until 15 months.ou son is probably going to be the same he is 6 mths at 29 in (which is where the infant seat stops) and we are in the process of getting him a convertible car seat
    AProudUSMCWife

Answer by AProudUSMCWife at 2:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I'm with ticcledblue...no surprise there. Our DD was 4 months when she went in the convertible. Our son is almost 6 months and still in the carrier. We will switch him to convertible once it's warm enough. It just easier in the cold to grab the whole car seat then have to unstrap and unbuckle two kids. =)

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 2:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I wanted to get my baby a convertible seat from birth, but didn't have the money til she was 10 months. That was around when she outgrew the infant seat. Convertible carseats are for newborns too. Many are from 5lbs & up. You don't have to use the infant one at all. Just keep baby rear facing til about 35lbs. Britax and Sunshine Kids Radian are 2 great brands to look into. DO NOT GO FROM AN INFANT SEAT TO A FORWARD SEAT OR BOOSTER!!!
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I put my son in a convertible when he was able to sit up well on his own, around 9-10 months, so I wouldn't have to worry about shopping carts and high chairs at restaurants. I was debating whether to use an infant carrier at all with this one since I'll be carrying her in a sling most of the time so my son can have the shopping cart seat; but I decided to go ahead and use the carrier for if/when we go out to eat, so we can take her in the carrier and I won't have to hold her while I eat. But when she's able to sit up well, she'll move to a convertible, same as my son.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009