Is there a law for how many kids can share one bedroom?

A friend of mine lives in a nice apartment but it's only 2 bedrooms and she has three kids. Her landlord has made comments to her that she's "lucky" that he hasn't turned her in for having too many kids in one bedroom. Her kids are still very young...she has a 1 yr old, 4 year old, and 5 year old. I've tried googling it and came up with nothing and I also visited the local DCFS website and couldn't find anything. Maybe there is no such law?! I'm in Illinois.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• The law or regulation is most likely put up by the complex or town or county. Go to administration of one of them. Renting is way different than owning with what's allowed to go own. If there's a mix of sexes maybe the landlord doesn't believe it's right himself.
    Anonymous

• No I think its per number of bedrooms though. A 2 bedroom can usually have 4 people in it not including a child under 1. So if she has a live in boyfriend/husband she may have a problem. However she should check her lease so she knows what her apartment requires. He shouldnt be threatening her like that.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• In California, you cannot rent (legally) a one bedroom apt to more than 3 people total. If she has three kids she is supposed to be in a 2 bedroom. In a 2 bedroom, you cannot legally rent to more than 6 people. The "norm" is 3 people to a bedroom, no matter how many bedrooms. I would contact the local housing authority to find the laws in your state, print them out and take them to the landlord and tell them get off her back!! Maybe the landlord has other motives and is trying to get her to move out??
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• If her landlord is so aware of the laws, why doesn't she help her out by pointing the laws out to her. In fact, if it is against the law, why is she renting to her in the first place? If it is against the law, the Landlord is going to be the one in trouble, not your friend lol.
    Anonymous

• I know that here in Texas you can only have 2 people per room...so like us, we're in a 2 bedroom with two children which is fine, but if we were to have another baby we'd have to get a 3 bedroom. Also, an infant up to the age of 6 months can share a room with the parents. My son's room is actually the Master and there would more than enough room to put a crib if we needed too, but in the eyes on the law, we would have to move.
    Anonymous

• Not many states have laws like this, usually if they do have laws about bedrooms and numbers and genders of people it only covers foster care situations. I'd tell the landlord to go ahead and "turn me in".
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• look at jon and kate plus 8 they had all 6 of the babys in one room.
    Anonymous

• Ok thanks! I figured as much--he is just a grumpy old man with nothing better to do than nitpick everything. He's told them he can't wait for them to move out because he's planning on renting to 55 and older now. There's nothing in the lease that states how many kids they can have in one room. Her place is clean and she takes good care of them so there's no abuse or disgusting living situation or anything. I think he's just trying to scare them out.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I think MamaChamp is right...

SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I know here you can not have 2 kids of the opposite sex in the same room over the age of 2. My bil actually had dhs step in over that.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2009