Daycare

My son has been one on one with my mom and husband and he's 16 months old and is starting 2 days a week in a daycare center and i am freaking out. he's very clingy and doesn't play well on his own. which is why I think daycare will be good for him but I am so scared that he will be scared without us and this could affect him ????

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I worked in a daycare for 10+ years. When we would have new children starting in the center, the teachers/aides would try to help them adjust. We'd find whatever we could to get them settled. They could do puzzles, read, color, etc. Maybe you can tell the teachers the special things he likes so they can do this with him. Does he have a special blanket, stuffed animal or other security thing? Even something of your that carries your scent sometimes helps little ones when they miss their mamas. I'm sure they would not mind if you call in after a while to make sure he's doing okay. JUST DON"T TALK TO HIM! They should be able to reassure you as to how he's doing. Also, he will feed off of your emotions so if you go into this situation as confident and optimistic as you can, he'll sense that from you and feel more secure being dropped off there. Good luck mama!
    Raeene

Answer by Raeene at 2:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• the transition may be a little rough at first but it'll be good for him in the long run. He'lll learn vital social skills. Just make sure that when you go to leave him there, if he starts to cry...give him a kiss, tell him you'll be back to get him later and walk out the door. The longer you stay the harder it'll be on the both of you.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It's actually a good age to put him in day care. Too much older and it starts getting harder on the child. It'll take a week or two for him to adjust, but I guarantee he won't be crying all day! I worked at a day care and have seen it. Just odn't make a big deal out of leaving. Do a short rirual good bye -- maybe say good bye and kiss on cheeck then out the door. Like you said, it'll be good for him in the long run.
    Anonymous