Does anyone have a child with kidney problems?

My daughter Savannah that is 20months old went in for routine blood work 2 months ago and her crenitine (sp) levels are out of rang and her BUN level is as well her blood sugar was a little low as well.. the Dr retested her 2 weeks later and the same thing.. She asked us to get the same test done again a month later (3/15/09) to see what they say. Why the repeated testing what do these levels mean from what I can see it is to see if her kidneys are working properly, and I guess with all her other health problems I am wondering why she is waiting so long to do a different test or is this normal? I am scared you kind of need your kidneys to live! =/ Anyone who has any experience or suggestions please help I am all ears!

lvemy2grlz

Asked by lvemy2grlz at 12:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Health

• Did they test her for mitochondrial disease? I am no pro by all means on this disease, but I know that if she has other medical problems associated with these other "levels" being off in the blood you may want to bring up the Mitochondrial Disease. Someone told me about this disease on this website and I had my daughter tested for it, and she has abnormalities in both her cells and DNA.. I dont know if the doctors have already suspected that or not? Just food for thought? Hope this may be benificial to you in anyway! Good Luck
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• thank you no they haven't she has CP and sensory disorders and they are about to test her for autism as well.. she did have some protein in her urin and crystals about 6 months ago that was what this follow up work was for but those have gone away and now this...
    lvemy2grlz

Answer by lvemy2grlz at 1:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Your welcome, my daughter has periventricular leukomalcia, epilepsy, esaphagitis, highblood pressure, sensory problems, and developmental delays... etc.... I really think that you should tell your doctor about it though.. My daughter is 3 years old and we may have possibly found her underlying diagnosis after a long haul! I hope everything goes well with your daughter! I know how difficult this becomes!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I just found out I may have a 'leaking kidney'.The doctor said to put me on a low protein diet.I already suffer from Hypoglycemia,so giving up large amounts of protein daily causes me to be very weak but I have lost tons of weight,giving up meat!So, for your daughter,do the same diet to preserve the kidney,when she's older,if she needs to.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 2:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• she refuses to eat meat now due to sensory issues she barely eats any... but thank you
    lvemy2grlz

Answer by lvemy2grlz at 8:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2009