My 9 year old Niece

I've been around her since she's been born and my mom is basically a half parent for her while my sister works 2 jobs and is going to school. She just recently started getting this mean rude attitude towards her grandma and grandpa ( my parents ) and it breaks my heart for them because they've done so much for her.. is it my place to say anything to her? Her mother is very strict and she would never act up for her but my sister tells my parents not to let her get away with that behavior but they are also the grandparents.. they shouldn't have to constantly discipline her. is this common for a 9 yr old ?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think it is very normal for her to have an attitude at that age. There are changes going on. She is no longer a little kid. Or is she? I am not asking that but I know the attitude. That is how they are feeling. I guess you could call it an unsure of their role attitude.

Years ago it was not uncommon for a Grandparent to punish if necessary. My mother does discipline mine if needed. This is how I was raised. I don't think they need to ground her or take items from her. My Gram would tell me how disappointed she was if we did anything. Then if we persisted she ignored us. Saying for instance, if you are acting like that then Grandma is ready to go home, or I guess you are ready to go home.

But her attitude is normal. Kids do that. Like I said it is part of growing up and their insecurity. Not to say that she is insecure but unsure of where she fits right now.
    connietrrll

Answer by connietrrll at 1:14 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• If they are "half her parent" they have every right to discipline her. Unfortunately for your parents, that rold of grandparent is re-defined by your sister. They don't get to have that normal grandparent relationship because they are raising this child. She is taking advantage of thei kindness and she needs to stop. Your parents are the only ones that can do this.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 1:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I know, and believe me. I have a huge problem with my sister about this and its too bad she's so selfish and has done this. more than anything I wonder if 9 years old to have an back talk attitude is normal or if she could be going through something else?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I discipline my nieces and newphew. Why wouldn't you stop this? I don't see how you just watch her take advantage of her grandpartents and do nothing.
    Anonymous