CONSTIPATED NEWBORN

COULD THE FORMULA BE THE REASON HES CONSTIPATED,HE DRINKS GOODSTART WITH THE GOLD TOP.HE TURNS 1 MONTH TOMARROW BUT HAS BEEN CONSTIPATED FOR 2 WEEKS 1/2..HE DOESNT SLEEP WELL BECAUSE OF IT

misty91

Asked by misty91 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Time to call the doc.!
    RomansMom25

Answer by RomansMom25 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Misty-why do you think he's constipated? Does he have hard poop or it it b/c of the strain?
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Formula does tend to make newborns constipated, especially if it says "with iron" on the label. Try buying a formula without additional iron. We had this same problem and our pediatrician told us it really was unnecessary for them to add more iron to formula.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 1:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I'd call the doc, hon. He'll discuss how to treat constipation in a baby that small... ASAP as well, because the little fella is probably uncomfortable.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 1:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• HE PUSHES ALL THE TIME UNTIL HES ALL RED,AND THIS HAPPENED EVER SINCE I SWITCHED TO FORMULA FEEDING,AND YEAH HE HAD HARD POOP =/
    & THANKS FOR THE INFO KIMMIE =)
    misty91

Answer by misty91 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Awww poor boy. I would call your pediatrician and see if they suggest giving him formula without iron. My son was constipated early on too. I actually took him to the ER for it b/c it was a Sunday and it got really bad to where he wasn't eating. When I called they kept telling me "he's too young to be constipated." He was breastfed but they had given him some formula at the hospital. At the ER they gave him a suppository. Call your docs office and ask them if you can go ahead and give him a glycerol suppository. Good luck!
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• MY son has had this issue since birth. my ped recommended suppositories but make sure you ask your ped first - we've tried prune juice, apple juice, stool softners etc - he could not tolerate my BM and we switched formula's 5 times then he finally turned 1 , we tried whole milk and he screamed in pain and I put him on soy and he was able to sleep, then I stopped some dairy and now he finally can poop on his own, so that made me want to know more - I am having him tested for food allergies - we had a long struggle with this bad constipation issues. call your doc and hopefully the process is less that we are doing
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yep, formula definitely constipates kids. My daughter became constipated after she started soy formula. She's on Good Start as well :o] We tried suppositories and nothing worked. I called the ped, she said to mix 2 oz of water with 2 oz of apple or prune baby juice (it has less sugar and stuff) and give it to her. I did it yesterday and I am not kidding, it worked like a charm. It made her poop soft enough to come out and she felt better immediately. My daughter is 10 weeks old.

And by the way...how's motherhood going other than that? :o]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yeah. Formula is terrible for baby bellies. Find a lactation consultant or your local La Leche League so you can breastfeed and make the poor baby feel better.
    Anonymous

• Formula tends to constipate kids. It's not natural, so they're bodies don't take it well.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2009