Earliest Age for Swim Lessons

Does anyone have any thoughts on when a toddler should enroll in swim lessons? My mother in law has a pool and we spend a lot of time there, with summer approaching I worry about us hanging out around the pool as my daughter is only 14 months old and has no concept of depth what so ever!

Beeziesmommy

Asked by Beeziesmommy at 1:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well I haven't done anything like that with my daughter, but I know I was started on swimming lessons when I was only about 3 months old and by the time I was 6 months old I knew how to bring myself to the surface of the water. I don't remember not knowing how to swim.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My daughter started at 2 years old (that's when our local beach starts them) but we've since joined the Y and my son started a "mommy and me" type class when he was about 20 months, but hated it, so we decided to wait until the summer to try again.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• there is a place that will start lessons at 6mo.... its more of survival training if the child ever falls in the water they teach them how to float. its great..
    a friend of mine just took her 2yo they taught them how to swim in their bathing suits & float for safety & they also taught them how to float if they where to fall in fully clothed (jacket/shoes) in winter clothes! It was amazing to watch what these kids can do...
    Some places make the mistake of teacher your kid its FUN to jump into pools & swims. this is not smart at all! At a young age learning to swim should be about SAFETY! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My son took lessons last summer at 8 months old. Many places start at about 6 months old. There are some that just get the children aquainted with the water, and some that are more intense - like the pp mentioned where they teach them to float. That one is too intense for me and I wouldn't do that until my son is 3 at least. (They throw them in by themselves and it makes me too nervous to not be in there with him!)
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• The YMCA starts swimming lessons very very early... during infancy. I'm considering putting my 2 year old DS in them, but I don't think that they're necessarily lessons on exactly how to swim. More of getting used to the water.
    mommabeth15

Answer by mommabeth15 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I teach aquatic survival, like what's mentioned above. With survival lessons, you can start a child as young as 6 months to float if s/he falls into the water. A child who is around 15 mo and above can learn to swim, get to a float to get air and relax, then back to a swim again until s/he can get to the side or steps.

With traditional lessons, such as the Y, children are typically around 4 by the time they really learn to swim and it can take 2 or more years. Also, I'd like to warn against the Mommy & Me programs. Babies learn to associate Mommy's warmth and love with the water, which may draw them to the water, when they're not skilled. A child should learn to be safe before play.

Just FYI, you shouldn't use any kind of flotation device (kickboards, floaties, rafts that babies sit in, etc). This gives them a false sense of security and puts them in an upright position for swimming.

Ilise Kohleriter

www.ISRwaterkids.com
    Ilisek

Answer by Ilisek at 4:22 PM on May. 13, 2009

• ISR is basically child abuse and there is absolutely no documentation to support that in a real life situation that it will work better than swim lessons from a positive, nurturing class. Please check out this video: http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=665036

There is an option to the trama than many parents put their babies through. Safety is #1, but you DO NOT need to terrorize your children to be safe!!
    http://www.babyswimming.com/philosophy.htm
    mperkins

Answer by mperkins at 12:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2010