Can anyone give me hope?

Has anyone had a lost dog come home more than just afew days later? Our dog ran off on Thursday night. I have signs postd in a 1 mile radias around the house, have ad's out in all the papres, on petfined.com and craigslist.com, I have checked the pound every day. And most importantly to us we haven't seen him hit by a car or lying on the side of the road so we still have hope he might be okay. Has anyone had a dog come back on it's own after so long? We are starting to give up hope.

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 1:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Pets

• I once had a chihuahua/terrier mix get out of a very small hole under a fence where a bigger dog had tried to dig *into* our yard from the outside. He was about 3 years old then, and he come home 2 months later. I knew someone had been keeping him because he was wearing a different collar than the one we had on him. I wish they would have just returned him in the first place...would have saved me alot of sleepless nights.

Post flyers in your area, call the police, dog catcher, and local animal shelters. Post ads with pictures on craigslist.org, findtoto.com, and fidofinder.com. My city has it's own website for lost and found pets, yours might, too.

A frend of mine has a dog who is constantly getting loose. She made some business cards on her home computer that have her dogs picture on one side and her info on the other. She passes these out to people when she is searching.

Good luck!
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 10:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I had a cat come back 3 weeks later and dogs are WAYYY smarter so I wouldn't give up hope just yet. I wish you and your family the best and hope you find the little guy.
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Thanks we are just so upset. We came home thursday and our neighbor who is autistic came out saying he had played with our dogs, we went and saw the gate is open. It is hard to be mad at him, he really can't help it, but I am so ticked at his parents, they need to watch him closer. But of corse everyone is hard on us, like if you loved him so much how did you let him run off. We are all just really sad.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My little weenie dog got out of her fenced yard and disappeared for a little over two weeks. She came back in the middle of the night covered in mud and stickers. I woke up hearing whimpering outside my bedroom window...

Don't give up and keep on looking. If you do indeed find your doggy, and I hope you will, get him microchipped or at least have a tag on him with your name and number.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 1:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Oh we are definitely doing that, we already got our other dog done Friday after Cody (the runaway) got lost. His collor he shreddied to the point it was falling off and I am so mad at myslef, I took it off of him last weekend, with intentions of getting him a new one in a day or so, and didn't get it done in time.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• we had a cat show back up at the house 2 summers later... there is hope sister!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Don't give up hope. Someone may have found him, and since he had no collar or chip, may have thought he was a stray, and is keeping him. Put signs in the super market and conveinet stores. Even gas stations if they will let you. Somebody just has to have seen him. He may have gotten inside someones car. We had that happen at the grocery store one time. We had a convertable and when we came out , a dog was in our car! He wouldn't get out so we had to call the pound to come and get him..lol We couldn't keep him, we were moving. So you just never know.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Honey, my sister's dog "Ole Duke" we called him, came home FOUR years after he went missing. It depends on the dog and the situation I guess. Ole Duke was a lab.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Awww, I just wanted to wish you luck!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I'm so sorry, that is so sad. I'd be a mess if my dogs went missing.

There's a neighborhood dog that leaves his family's home and wanders around. He visits me all the time lol. He always finds his way back home (or I call his owners to come and get him if I find him first). Those are all GOOD signs that you mentioned. I'd have hope too if I were you.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2009