Diareah, no eating, and now antibiotics....

Okay ladies, please help cause I'm stuck. My little momma (almost 4) hasn't eaten in days. Yesterday she took a couple of cherrios and a fruit cup but that's it. Today we went top the Dr. he said she's not really dehydrated but she does have Bronchitis and beg. ear infection... so he's prescribing an antibiotic and a probiotic.
My thing is .... even with a probiotic I feel horrible having her take an antibiotic on no food.
Today she ate a little more cherrios and some pedialyte mixed with sprite.
I've made ginger ale -- real ginger tea mixed with sprite, offered applesauce, bananas, saltine crackers, toast, etc.etc.
I know she's got reserves but....
any advice, suggestions, going thru the same thing
thanx

MamiJaAyla

Asked by MamiJaAyla at 1:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I just went hrough this a week or so ago, and I am sorry Ic an't offer you any more advice than what you are already doing. Just wanted to give you some hope, it sounds like she is at the worst of the worst and if it is the same thing recovery on my little one was quicker than the onset. Just keep offering that pedialyte, you are doing good if she isn't getting dehydrated, and give her the meds as soon as possible after she has had a few bites. Good luck
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• We have all had a stomach virus here, ear infections etc... I bought yogurt for our boys, and offered applesauce and toast. Our pediatrician said just keep offering fluids... The yogurt will help while she's on the antibiotic, it will balance out the bacteria in her system. Antibiotics kill all the good and bad bacteria so the live cultures will help.. GL
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 2:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My doctor said that no one has starved to death from being sick, but they have died from being dehydrated. Sounds like you are doing it right. Just keep offering liguids. When she is ready to eat, she will.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• at this point do not worry about nutrition if there is ANYTHING she will eat or drink, let her have it. sometimes fruit popsicles work well. or ice cream.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009