Is it selfish to think of your family?

We are taking a trip to Denver on Sunday and staying until Wednesday. We have NEVER taken a vacation. Granted Denver is only 6 hours from us, but it seems a world away. It has been stressed that we are stupid to do this because we don't have our own house. This comes from my mother.

Katie911

Asked by Katie911 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Travel

• I must be missing something. What does having your own house have to do with going to Denver?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Going on a 5 day trip to somewhere in driving distance doesn't seem that extravagent to me. As long as you are making other financially responsible decisions and you have planned the cost for this into your budget, I think it is good to go.

To me travel is important to see how other people live and change things up. It may be years before you can afford a house. You cannot put off everything enjoyable until you have one. Take a camera and you will have great memories of this family trip.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• As long as the money for the trip isnt coming out of rent of bills or groceries then no your just fine to go on a vacation!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 2:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• So people who are renting shouldn't take vacations? Thats a snotty thing to insinuate. If that were the case I would have missed out on tons of cities and countries. Go on your trip, have fun, and don't listen to mom on this one.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• ya i agree.we went to disney before we bought our house...dont worry now isnt a really good time to buy a house any way unless you are 100% about your job and finanaces.now you cant buy a house with out a down payment.so dont worry your time will come.
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• oh for goodness sakes!! EVERYBODY needs to get away. It is your mother that is being selfish!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Sounds like you need to take the vacation to get away from your mother, ha ha!!
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Take the vacation and take me with you!! LOL! With all you have been thru this year, you all deserve this vacation, so take it and enjoy it!
    Alwaysacarnie

Answer by Alwaysacarnie at 10:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2009