Okay.....

So I'm 18 but I have a 6 year old sister thats gonna be 7 the 27th and she doesn't not listen to me or anyone else. Like we'll tell her once that she can't do something then she does it again anyways even if she gets disiplined for it. What can we do to make her listen? Oh and shes adopted by the way because her mother gave her up when she was a year old so she's really my lil cousin but her birth mom passed away a couple years ago and my mom thinks her mom might have done some drugs with her while she was pregnant.

Native_Mommy253

Asked by Native_Mommy253 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well in my experience the not listening thing seems to be an age appropiate phase. Just keep up the good work and stay consistent don't go back and forth with well it is okay this time and not the next.
    Jtsmom0621

Answer by Jtsmom0621 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I don't know why you put in the adoption part..it is not important..
    anyway take stuff away from her that she likes...stay consistant..
    do not say one thing and do another..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Coming from a younger sister, it is hard to listen to an older sister. She may think you are just picking on her even though you are grown. Have you tried being kind but firm and consistent.?Don't say things that are ugly like you are such a pain and stuff like that that big sisters say sometimes.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 2:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Find another way to discipline. Whatever you are doing isn't curbing the behavior. You have to find something that works.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 8:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Go to the public library and check out some parenting and child behavior books. Browse them and try out a likely behavior modification plan for around a month to see if it works in your family. Kids always resist change especially if they have been ruling the house as it sounds like your lil' sis has. The hard part will be getting your whole family to agree on using the 'trial' method including your sis. Buy in and consistency are essential.

Anonymous