Any docs out ther??? Please help me find answer...

My mother has bacterial pnuemonia and is on a strong antibiotic.
My son will be born by c-section on March 16th and I need to know if it is safe for her to be there and hold the baby. Is this contagious? Please help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Contagious factor Both kinds of pneumonia are spread by coughing and sneezing. With the viral type, children are contagious for as long as they have symptoms. But as with colds, they're most contagious during the peak of the illness, between days three and five. With bacterial pneumonia, contagiousness lasts from the first respiratory symptom until 48 hours after starting antibiotics.

http://www.parents.com/baby/health/cold/is-my-child-contagious/?page=10

I think it will be fine to have your child around your newborn in a week. Especially if she is already on antibiotics
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You should call your doc and not trust a 'doc' on here.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• call your dr, why are you asking on cafemom?
    Anonymous

• The most common way you catch pneumonia is to breathe infected air droplets from someone who has pneumonia. Another cause is an improperly cleaned air conditioner. Yet another source of infection in your lungs is spread of an infection from somewhere else in your body, such as the kidney.
    Anonymous

• You are at higher risk of developing pneumonia if you have the following:

a chronic health problem, such as diabetes,

a poor immune system because of HIV, AIDS, steroid use, or immune-suppressant medications (people with organ transplants take these medications),

diseased or damaged lungs, such as with asthma or emphysema, or

are very young or very old.
    Anonymous

• Already left message for my doc! Just thought I'd give it a try while I wait. I answer a lot of questions for people on her regarding my profession!!! I am sure there are some med student moms or nurse or doc moms who are part of Cafemom thats why!!!
    Anonymous

• I posted above....I would not have my newborn around a child with bacterial pneumonia. Bacterial infections are contageous. I am not sure how long you have to be on antibiotics before the threat is gone. I would def ask your OB
    Anonymous

• Duration
    With treatment, most types of bacterial pneumonia can be cured within 1 to 2 weeks. Viral pneumonia may last longer. Mycoplasmal pneumonia may take 4 to 6 weeks to resolve completely.

Contagiousness
    The viruses and bacteria that cause pneumonia are contagious and are usually found in fluid from the mouth or nose of an infected person. Illness can spread when an infected person coughs or sneezes on a person, by sharing drinking glasses and eating utensils, and when a person touches the used tissues or handkerchiefs of an infected person.
    Anonymous

• Bacterial pneumonia is contagious. Not to be confused with the other type. I would ask her to steer clear until shes been on AB's for her FULL round.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I have to be honest with you. I highly doubt the a doctor would take the liability of answering a question for you on CM especially without being able to preform an exam. Maybe some lesser-qualified people can still help?

If your mother absolutely has BACTERIAL pneumonia and she has been on an antibiotic for over 24 hours, it is usually said that she is no longer contageous. If it were me, despite what any doctor said, I would not take the chance with a newborn...not with penumonia. She would have to be conversation distance away or greater (droplet transmission). Also, regardless of her medication, she may not be permitted on the L&D floor. When I was touring the hospital we were told numerous times that if a nurse so much as noticed a sniffle from one of our guests, they would be escorted off of the unit immediately. I would call the hospital too just to make sure what their policy is. Good luck and congrats!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2009