Opinions wanted on switching utility companies

I'm considering signing up with a company that sells Electricity and Heating in NY state. I'm just wanting to ask you ladies for your personal opinion. If you saw an ad locally in the paper, a magazine, flyer or event that said you could save 7% on your electricity bill by switching to a different company, would you?

Keep in mind no one would come to your home and the switch would be uninterupted. You could leave and switch back to your other company anytime at no cost. And the only fees are a 1.5% late fee if your bill isn't paid on time!

Mom2Jack04

Asked by Mom2Jack04 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• Do you know anyone else who uses this service?

I am always nervous about "too good" deals. But that means I miss out on stuff!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yeah I know....I'm meeting with someone else tonight at a local Coffee Shop to see how she is doing. But she said she made back her investment in about 2 months and her bill is about $10 cheaper a month!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• If you have the name of the company - I'd for sure google it in combination with words like "rip off" and "scam"....

http://www.scambusters.org/scamlines/21.html - check out #3!

http://www.gowanuslounge.com/2008/10/20/energyutility-scam-artists-working-all-over-south-brooklyn/

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Is this a friend you are meeting or does this company give discounts if customers bring other people in?
    Wimsey

• Yes, I've done all this, typed in both scam and fraud as well as checked with the BBB. The only complaint i've found is a few people saying they were disconnected and charged a $200 re-connect fee when their payment was late, but the BBB said the company resolved the issues. And yes the person I'm meeting sells and uses it, and yes I would be in her downline

But It's NOT the business aspect i'm asking for your opinion on, because I've been researching it for a week now, I'm asking if YOU as a person living in the United States who buys and pays for electricty every single month would want more info if you saw a local ad advertising savings on your electricity. Even if that means leaving National Grid or whatever company you've always used...
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes, I've done it. I switched from Reliant Energy here in Texas (the original, largest provider of electricity service) to Affordable Energy (a smaller company backed by a registered provider, Affordable Power Plan). I have been with them for nearly a year, no issue, great customer service, lower rates, and lower bill. I just renewed for another year at a very good rate. I am also taking advantage of the biz opp as I earn commissions on my own usage, as well as that of my personal customers, and my team members and their customers, and so on. At this point, I am earning more than enough to cover my own bill, so it's like I am getting free electricity -- way cool!
    nuwave06

Answer by nuwave06 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 11, 2009