Is it safe to use nicotine patches while pregnant to quit smoking?

I need to quit smoking but don't feel I can do it quickly on my own. I want to use Nicotine patches to quickly break my addiction. Like only a couple days on each step. Is it safe enough for my baby, if it is my only option to quit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• nicotine is the addictive substance so no its not safe it will have the same effects as cigarettes such as low birth weight and can cause preterm delivery.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't think so. But check with your doc.
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You need to talk to your doctor. It is still nicotine in those patches so no, it isn't safe. But only you and your doctor can come up with a safe alternative and a way to stop smoking.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I stopped cold turkey as soon as there was a THOUGHT that I might be pregnant. And I KNEW I was.

It was the hardest thing ever but my baby was most important.
    You can find the will to stop if you look deep.
    Anyone can.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 2:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• there was a commercial about this once, i mean doesnt make it true, but it said that the path is safer than smoking.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Some doctors will recommend the use of nicotine patches during pregnancy to help you quit because while your still getting nicotine your not putting all the smoke and tabacco tar into your system.

Also it's better to have the nicotine in your system from the patches for a little while than to have tabacco and nicotine in your system for the whole 9 months.

Talk to your doctor about your options. Don't be embarrased! Your doing an awesome thing by wanting to quit for your baby.
    Anonymous

• like pp said. The patches are not good for your bay, but they are safer than a ciggarette. I would let your Dr know what is going on though, he may have another alternative for you.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• be a strong woman and cold turkey it!! but if u cant i understand.... talk to your doc! if u have trouble-- everytime u want a gritt look at a pic of ur ultrasdound
    Anonymous

• I just cut down and was also smoking light ones, which I had when I used to smoke not being pregnant anyways. I quit 3yrs ago and not smoking again ever!! It's easy to cut down and sometimes when ur pregant it makes u nausated anyways. I smoked light with my first baby and quit afterwards, he was over 8lbs.
    Anonymous