If you knew your parents were cheating on each other would you tell the other one?

If you wouldn't, why would you keep it to yourself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• WOW.

That is a hard question!

So - they are still married to each other, but both cheating on each other - right?

Given the limited amount of information in the question, is it safe to assume that they are HAPPY with their cheating ways? That is to say, the outside relationship is not enough to rock the boat and get a divorce?

I would think, as long as they kept it clean in front of my grandchildren, and were polite to each other, it would be a hard conversation to have in real life.

The whole thing would cetainly give DH and me enough to talk about for the rest of OUR lives.

Hard to say, hard to say.

Plus - I have four parents - mom/dad/sm/sf.....so WOW. There's a boggler.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• um, idc who they are, yes, i'd tell.

no one deserves that.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I had a friend tell her Mom that her Dad was cheating. It came out after she told that this was like the 6th time or so he'd done it. They were about to have their 25th wedding anniversary and decided to stay together. They said they'd been together too long to just give up. So I guess it's up to you. I would say I would...however that might open a can of worms you want nothing to do with.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 2:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My parents divorced when I was five and remarried other people.

But yeah. I have to say that I would gently tell them what was happening. Whether they wanted to believe me or not would be their problem.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• if they were BOTH cheating... i mean yeah i probably would
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Mine are divorced, but I would tell my father if my mother was cheating but I wouldn't tell my mother if my father was cheating. I make that distinction because my mother is a horrible person and I think she would deserve it. That sounds cold, but really, she is a cold, vile, abusive, insane b***h.
    Anonymous

• depends..if it was my SD cheating on my mom, I have enough respect for him, to give him a time table to tell my mom.. if it was the other way around, I would do the same thing, then if one didn't tell the other, I would definitely say something, but I would give them the chance to figure it out on their own first.
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 2:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yeah. I'd tell. Though I don't ever see it happening with my parents.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Confront the person who is cheating and tell them that you know and that you will tell the other person if they don't and go from there. You can't just keep this bottled up inside to know something and not do nothing about it. Do it soon. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I don't know...that is so hard. As an adult, I like to think of my relationship with my parents as being more of a friendship than a parent/child relationship. And I would tell a friend if their spouse were cheating. But on the other hand, I do still have enough of that...whatever you would call it, that makes me feel that I can't get involved in their relationship. I honestly do not know if I would tell them or not. Good thing my parents have been married 32 yrs and have both told me that no one else would ever put up with them so even if they hated each other, they'd stay together anyway. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2009