3 yr old nap?!

I have a 3 yr old, a 15 month old and I'm 22 weeks pregnant, and I need some down time during the day or I cannot sleep at night. My 3 yr old no longer will take a nap. Is there any tricks to get her to just lay down and rest so maybe I can sit back read a book, or do something to relax and help bring my energy back up?!

via86

Asked by via86 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tell her it is quiet time. SIt her in her room with books and other quiet toys. I got my nephew to do this until he was almost five. Just be consistent and they will get it.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• kboney29 is right. If you're comfortable with it, you could even have her watch a little TV, maybe something educational on PBS, with the volume at a low level. Otherwise, just some books, quiet toys, maybe a coloring book and crayons if you trust her with them. Or, Crayola makes those Color Wonder markers, etc. (these are a staple in my home) that only color on their special paper. A bit pricier than regular crayons and such, but kids are fascinated by them and a lot less mess. Or you could see if she'll lay on the couch or something with you. Tell her she doesn't have to sleep, you just want to cuddle with her. That might work.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• wake her butt up really early,thats what i do.sorry thats all my advice...my daughter gets tired wen i wake her up early n takes naps
    mamacita4two

Answer by mamacita4two at 4:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• She gets up on her own at 7, and any earlier than that will absolutly kill me
    via86

Answer by via86 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• i agree with mamacita4two
    DramaQueen1030

Answer by DramaQueen1030 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I always took mine into my room with me, popped on a movie and would rest or nap while they watched t.v and played with toys (that weren't hard toys either, got hit a few times and learned my lesson :) ). Most (not all) 3 year olds don't nap anymore, they just don't need it. I could never get mine to do the quite time in thier room, so we did it in mine and it worked great.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2009