• In the Spotlight:

Just had a newborn and now my toddler is having sleep problems?

My new baby is just 3 weeks old, and since we've had her our oldest 17 month old daughter has been acting up at night and waking crying. We have been having many problems getting her back to sleep, everytime we walk out of her room she cries and screams. Please help with ideas to give us our sleep back and a sleeping daughter back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she likes time with you she is mad when you hold your new born ............take her somewhere just you and her
    math337

Answer by math337 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I agree...we are having the same issue too. i have a 2 yr. old and a 9 week old. about a month before the baby was born, our toddler began not wanting to go to bed, screaming, etc. we try to spend as much time as we can with him, but we also had to put a chain on his door he can still open his door to call out if he needs, but we did that for safety issues. basically, he knows that no matter how much he cries and fusses when that door is chained, it's time for bed. it takes him an hour or so to calm down and many times he'll fall asleep on the floor and we pick him up and put him back in bed. it's hard, but we have to stick with it or he'll know that he doesn't have to go to bed. we also sleep our newborn downstairs with our toddler upstairs. i'm hoping it's a phase. all i can say is be patient and consistent. your daughter wants attention whether its' positive or negative, any is good for her. i hope it's a phase. gl :)
    mannaworm

Answer by mannaworm at 3:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• some of my kids did this after i had another child but when they woke up they would say they had a bad dream or got scaird. i would lay down by them on their bed until they were asleep again and then go back to my bed.
    Anonymous