My toddler has been sticking her forefinger inside her right ear like it's itchy or something is bothering her.

I smelled her ear, and it has foul smell. Is it ear infection?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah. Common in children.

Take her to her pediatrician to get it treated, especially if it's stinky.

ASAP too, ear infections hurt.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 2:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• It could be or she could have stuck something in her ear shoved it so deep take her to her doctor or an ENT doctor.doctorI pray it is nothing serious. but I bet she stuck something there all children do that.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• doctor he has infection usualy when you get water in your ear
    math337

Answer by math337 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Yes, it sounds like an ear infection, although in my children they were accompanied by fever and shrieks of pain, poor kids. Take her to the doctor as soon as possible.

Answer by Bmat at 3:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• My dd does that most of the time anyway. But lately she's really shoving it in hard b/c she has an ear infection. sometimes teething can cause that reaction b/c little kids don't always realize where the pain is coming from. so jaw, ear -- same genearl area. Has DD had a cold recently? ear infections typically follow colds where fuild is able to build up in the sinus cavities/ear canal. My dd's always follow or accompany a cold.
    Anonymous

• ear infections are caused by a number of things- two of the main causes are improper bathing (water finds it's way into the ear canal and gets trapped, grows bacteria and becomes an infection- commonly known as swimmers ear), bottle feeding while laying down allows fluid to be trapped in the inner ear and not drain properly where it festers and becomes an infection, there are also many other viral causes, and cutting teeth often opens them up to many of those. ear infections that are not serious usually do not require antibiotic treatments, but in the case that foul odor or discharge is present the usual course of action is to treat the bacterial infection with antibiotics, usually "Cillin" based. for a minor infection white vinegar mixed in equal parts with rubbing alcohol administered to the affected area a few drops at a time 2 x daily, will kill the infection and dry the excess fluid. always check with your ped
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2009