Where would i go

I found out i was adopted when i was 19 and i want to start looking for my birth parents. Where would i go to try to find them? Are there any websites that would help me find them?

breyanasmomma

Asked by breyanasmomma at 2:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Adoption

• I answered your question on how to search, along with 2 others that were similar in the form of a question here.

You might also be interested in a support for people like yourself who found out they were adopted when they were adults. It's called being a "Late Discovery Adoptee". Google it and you'll find plenty of information and support on the web. Bless you :)

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Can you find out the name of the agency that handled the adoption? If they are still operating, they should be able to help. We were able to locate my husband's sister that way (she was placed for adoption when he was three). Since you are over 18, the records should be open by now I would think. I'm sure there are people here who can give you more helpful advice. Good luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Since you are over 18, the records should be open by now I would think

My state, you had to be 25 to search or be found- without adoptive parent approval and permission. And even then, the records were not fully opened to me....they were opened to a 3rd party to seek and exchange info and act as a filter between my Mother and I.

Adoptees are "FOREVER" children in the eyes of the law rrrrrrrrrgh
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 2:45 AM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Adopteeme, I'm surprised to hear that the records can remain closed for that long. I agree with you that it is unreasonable. I am an adoptive mom with two open adoptions, and I'm glad that my kids won't have to deal with the mystery. I know that not everyone lives up to their agreements, and that is despicable. We have to make sure we're agreeing to, we will actually do.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Adoption.com has a reunite forum and a search registry you might try there. Good luck!
    lilsweetpea708

Answer by lilsweetpea708 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• you need to ask your adopted parents if they know anything about your birth parents, first of all did your adopted parents change your name from the one your birth mom gave you, also did they change your birthday,legally they had that right so you need to know that first, then you need to go to the county courthouse and sign a release form to give them permission to have your information and that its ok that you want to meet them,but,they also had to sign the same form to give their permission for you to contact them. You have a long way to go, you see I was adopted and everywhere I went they would turn their back,I,m 43 years ols I do know my biological parents but if you need more help I can do the best I know,as far as chatrooms for adoptees it wont help you,I,ve been thru it all so let me know if you need help, I,m there. Records are NEVER just open, you will have to fight for that one.ALL adoptions thru court are sealed
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2009

• Heres my second piece for you, my biological father paid a Lawyer a lot of money to open my adoption file to give me back my birth rights and the judge turned our case down,for what reason we still dont know, being adopted sucks because the courts give our birth identity away and no one seems to care if we never get that back,I say if our birthparents are by our side then we as adoptees should be given back our birth identity. We are people that are pushed under a rug and they hope we never come back to surface. hope I can help you thru this, let me know exactly what you have done so far and what you are going to do, good kuck.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2009