my 4 year old soon to be step son refuses to sleep in his bed he cries and cries and yells and kicks and scream he comes up with every reason to get out of bed that he can then once everyone else falls asleep h gets up and watches tv all night what should we do

angelmommy83338

Asked by angelmommy83338 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh good lord. Have his dad handle it? Do you not think they are both looking for advice here? Obviously what they are trying to do is not working.

OP- have your SS do everything, I mean potty, last sip of a drink, teeth brushed, and then Dad needs to tell him it is time for bed. Do not give in to the excuses. How often is he with you guys? Does his BM let him stay up and watch tv? My SS's BM did/does and that is why he acted this way at our house too- not quite as bad, but he still whined about going to bed without the tv. We explained that although he may get to do that somewhere else, it's not going to happen in our house. Period. Is he watching tv in his room or somewhere else? Do you have a baby monitor?
    mrsbrown1

Answer by mrsbrown1 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Put him in bed, take no excuses, close the door and turn out the lights. Consider putting a baby gate in his door so he can't get out but can open the door to call you in an emergency. And unplug or othewise incapacitate the electronics when you go to bed for the night.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 2:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• You are going to have to put your foot down. I know where yo are coming from and the easiest way for us to deal with our son was to sit outside his bedroom door and everytime he came out put him right back in bed. Don't talk to him and dont let him argue with you. Just pick him up and put him back. It will be really hard at first, but stay consistant, dont give up, and keep putting him back. First night for us was about 2 hours. 2nd was about 30 minutes, and after about a week we were done and he went to bed fine. It is up to you if it is worth the fight or not, maybe someone else has s0ome easier suggestions for you.
    Anonymous

• HE ACTS LIKE ITS AN EMERGENCY AND SCREAMS AND SCREAMS FOR HOURS
    angelmommy83338

Answer by angelmommy83338 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Have his dad handle his behavior - sorry, but if you're not married, you're not the SM yet. Talk to his father and mother to find out what works best for him. If you don't want him sleeping in your bed, work out a plan and make sure your soon-to-be husband enforces the rules. And if you don't want him watching TV, unplug it. Get rules set in your house and make sure his father enforces them with you in the supporting role.
    Anonymous

• just remember that remarriage is the HARDEST on kids. they are being forced to welcome somebody new into their home, somebody they had no say in and somebody they are usually not interested in sharing their life with.

i agree that his dad should definitely deal w/ the problem and not you.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• Make a little card or something else to use as a "Bedtime pass". He gets one trip out of bed and he must give you the bedtime pass when he gets up. If he still has the bedtime pass in the morning, he gets a sticker for a sticker chart - earn enough stickers for a small treat like an ice cream cone or dollar store toy.

Put a baby monitor in his room so you can hear him if he gets up to play.

Since he is 4, he can probably go over a baby gate or knows how to open the gate. I'd suggest getting a door alarm. You'll find these in the travel section of stores. That way, you'll know if he opens his door at night.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• my son didn't like going to bed when others were up so I let him stay up and I rocked him. he was out like a light in a few min time and I took him to his bed. I didn't want to fight with him or listen to the screams. The rocking worked wonders for me.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2009